Simple USB interface to use with a mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Miles_ONeal, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I already have a small Mackie mixer[0]. I want a stone simple audio interface for it, preferably USB.[1] The Focusrite Scarlett series (for example) is overkill; since I have a mixer (I like having a physical mixer), I don't need level controls, preamps, transformers, or anything else. Just inputs & outputs (a minimum of 4 of each) and a backend that goes into my computer.

[0] It works just fine for simple live work as well as recording.
    [1] I have toyed with the idea of just getting a used or NOS M-Audio Delta series PCI-based setup.

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    maybe something like this ... Native Instruments Traktor interface. Just has 2 1/4" inputs, vol control for each and a USB out. Its billed as a DJ interface so its likely oriented towards mixer type inputs. Not sure that you'll find something much simpler, but who knows.
    Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 Mk2 2-channel DJ Audio Interface

good luck

p.s. ... I noticed too late that you wanted 4 ins/4 outs. The Traktion box only has 2.
    You may have to suck it up and deal with a box that has some mic pre's on it as well as the 4 line in/outs you are seeking.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  3. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think you'll find something like this easily - something without a preamp or transformers. Essentially, if it has an analog input, it'll need to do an analog-to-digital (A/D) conversion to push it over the wire to your DAW. This means that you'll have gain (trim) controls, preamps, all the rest. So I would be very surprised if you found something like this as an outboard device.

(I would expect internal soundcards to exist that have this functionality - but in that case, they would probably work with a SPDIF connection or some protocol that uses Ethernet, and the price point would be much much higher - something professional-grade, aimed at a large venue or a studio. If your Mackie has some type of digital out, though, this might be a path to explore.)

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    What’s your use case? That might help us narrow down options a bit.

5. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    The mixer does not have digital i/o.
    There is no need for the extras. Straight line level i/o used to be readily available. The assumption seems to be everyone should be happy with two inputs and run mixer software. I’m about ready to just take a chance on one of the old pci card interfaces like the M-Audio Deltas.

6. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Recording and mixing. Mostly at home. Ideally 8-10 in and out, could probably get by on 4 for now. Sometimes just gotta record parts live together.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    got it.

you’ve hit the nail on the head with the redundancy of functions with your existing mixer and any interface on the market today whether two channel or 64 channel.

If you’re dead set on keeping your current mixer in the loop, you could consider what you need for a recording medium besides a computer. When I was using an analog board, I’d record to two 8 track ADATs. I had a StudioMaster board that I liked. Worked great! Then it became difficult and expensive to obtain ADAT tapes....so maybe not a realistic option. I’ve since gone with a variety of multitrack interfaces, currently using a Presonus SL 16R.

There are multitrack hard disk recorders out there that might work for you (NOT the Zoom stuff with built in mixer, more like the Tascam DA-3000 kind of thing)

You’ll have a lot more very good options if you bypass your existing mixer, including digital mixers with multitrack capabilities and a familiar user interface. I understand that’s not what you’re looking for but that’s what manufacturers and building these days.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  9. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I can't tell what interfaces you might be referencing, but also, those are Windows drivers. I'm using Linux. Thanks, though!

10. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Miles_ONeal likes this.
  11. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
  12. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Yeah. I know there are newer alternatives. But I hate replacing things that do the job just fine. Thanks. It's a backup plan.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021