Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple yet flexible setup for recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Karma2002, May 25, 2002.

1. Karma2002

Karma2002

May 20, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Wanted to share a simple setup I'm using that is proving to be very very flexible.

*Bass (72 Jazz and 6 string Spector)
    to
    *Sansamp Bass DI

Then the signal goes two ways....
    1. Sansamp effected out to Symetrix compressor to BBE 362 to 16 channel Yamaha mixer (one channel mono)

2. Sansamp UNeffected out to Johnson Jstation to Yamaha 16 channel mixer (two channels stereo)

I'm using the effected Sansamp path to get the foundation of the sound (tight, solid, punchy, SVT type of tone witha solid bottom).

I'm using the path through the JStation to get a more contemporary SWR type of tone (the Jstation has two SWR models) with good clarity and highend. I use the internal Jstation compression and noise gate to smooth things out a bit.

Balancing the two signals in the mixer gives a wide variarty of tones. Very very flexible.

I find it musically useful when I roll in a little chorus or other effect on the Jstation to not lose the punch of the Sansamp through the BBE. You get the effect but the overall sound is still tight.

I'm recording each path to it's own track and can then blend the two and eq seperately in the mix.

Not expensive and just terrific if you want a variety of sounds.

Cheers,