Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simplify again, or stick with it? (pedals vs ME50B)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jammadave, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hi.

Finally, I believe I have all my "basses" covered, save maybe an upright or EUB in the future. And I'm pretty well covered in the amp department as well.

So, I turn to my effects. I like my already simple setup, excepting the fact that I have miles of power cable to contend with, and trying to make sure everybody "plays nice" and all.

Currently, I run:
    Bass -> Loooper A/B ->
    A) Tuner
    B) EBS BassIQ -> EBS MultiDrive -> Fulltone Deja2 Vibe -> Amp

And I like that essentially "wah-drive-chorus" setup . Been thinking of getting a 105Q instead of the BassIQ, and maybe a Fulltone Bass-Drive to add a boostable drive instead of the MultiDrive, but essentially it'd remain the same effects.

I power everything on board with a 1-spot, except the Deja, which has its own grounded plug and another mile of cord. Really, you have no idea how much I hate power cord spaghetti. I almost shoot myself every time I fiddle with our entertainment center at home.

Then there comes this ME-50B thing - which has individual pedals you can use for , whaddya know, Filter, Drive, and Modulation. Now, I generally hate multiFX, but this thing's all knobs! and has "manual mode" where you just use the pedals as individual stomps. Cool! Builtin tuner and wah/volume pedal? Cool! and only one plug for the wall? Cool! Not true bypass, dang. But the tone suckage is negligible, I hear.

David Wilson let me in on some of the finer points of its use, but essentially I'd be trading off the treadle-speed functionality of the Deja Vibe, but everything else I'd still really have on-hand. And the Tuner isn't muted, which doesn't make sense to me. (nobody wants to hear you tune, which is why I put mine on the A/B box)

Argh. Dunno. Thoughts?

2. I had the me50b for a short while, sold it as i didnt find it added much, i like to keep it simple with a good bass sound.

The effects are good on the Boss Me50b, the tuner is good and you can mute things as you can pull the expression pedal back which puts volume to off.

Stick to your amp and bass sound, effects just make things complicated IMO.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    true, I'd completely forgotten about that.

For me, it's not an either/or question :D
    I use my large pedalboard for most gigs. For midweek rehearsals after work, or gigs right after work I take the me-50b a decent percentage of the time.

4. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, yeah - I like "just bass" most of the time, but for certain songs and certain parts I just feel a need for some extra texture. As you can see from my current setup I don't go way wacky overboard with them.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I understand that the tuner doesn't mute but will it do flat tunings? For example if my band tunes down a half step can I set the tuner to read E although I am tuning to Eb? It's a minor thing and not a deal breaker. I think I want one of these things. My V-Amp pro crapped out on me and I thought about getting the Pod Pro but I don't need amp modeling. This seems like the perfect thing for what I do.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's a chromatic tuner

7. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    well, why would you want the tuner to read E if you're tryng to tune to Eb? DMW is right, it's a chromatic, meaning it'll tell you whatever note you're closest to. And, I was told and then found for myself, that if you pull back the volume pedal while in tuning mode - voila, silent tuning.

As you can see in my sig I'm getting one of these - woot!

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The open E string is tuned down a half step to Eb but is still treated as an E. It makes it easier for the singer. Some tuners can be set to read it that way to be less confusing. Like I said it's not a big deal and I have been using chromatic tuners long enough that it's not a problem. The volume pedal thing makes sense since it effects the output after the tuner an not the input.

9. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I've seen this scenario before and understand it as a general concept, but don't understand why people kowtow to the singers in this fashion ;)

okay, i know singers have different comfort keys and don't actually begrudge them, but look what it does to skinny-stringers:

Conversation -

Guitarist friend of mine: We tune down a half-step to make it heavier and so [singer] can handle it easier. But if you play a G chord in standard tuning on [song X], you're still playing that same G chord like you always did.

Me: But then it's not a G chord, it's an F#

Him: No, it's a G.

Me: well it might be a G *shape* but it's an F#.

Followed by he and I having a heated debate between learning with your ears and just memorizing the finger positions. I gave up.

Back on topic - Ed, I think the ME is just the dean's peanuts when it comes to multiFX, hope your experience with it is good.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I prefer the modular approach - at most just one or two boxes at the gig. Lightens the load, eases the setup. Also cheaper to upgrade, esp. if effects-shopping is your primary GAS outlet (like me).

11. I've had the ME-50B for a month or so now.
    I've always been an "only 1 Cable" player till then. The ME-50 was a nice accent to my sound shape and dynamic. Although it does have some drastic effects that are fun to mess with; the tone filters, modulation and natural overdrive get the only real useage. Then there's the compressor. I have a Hartke 3500 for a head with a built in compressor, with one knob, that turns everything to mud. Needless to say this portion of the pedal made me just short of happy in the pants. I'm sure it's not the best compression unit I can get but it's a few steps up from what I was using, with many more options.

Some other sounds I really enjoy when on my own are: High pressure/low tone sound (which comes deafault, but I tweaked it), mixed with a touch of delay, used along side of the pitch shifter.
    Synth sounds on the driver pedal, With slow gear and the pitch shifter.
    Dynamic Filter/"T-wah" with a resonance expression option, and some drive. ... I could go on and on.

Some of the most convenient features are: The bass drum option on the expression pedal. Used like a tap delay, will keep a tempo while you play. Also giving you a selection off 6 different BD sounds (it also works well when your mouthy drummer is saying how he keeps perfect tempo, and you can put him to the test).
    The audio in function/ headphone jack. I live in a small apartment, with close neighbors. When I want to practice to a CD at home, I can. Instead of packing up and going to the hall and hoping someone else in the band didn't have the same idea I did (which happens alot).

The only complaint I can think of, that really matters, is the delay between changing patches. the sound is completely cut for a fraction of time. Just enough to notice the change isn't seamless, and enough to have to plan any patch changes into the songs without compromising the feel.

For $400. Canadian, I'm happy. Quite happy.

12. For the last while I've been trying to decide what multi-effects pedal to buy. I'm now going to buy the ME50B. Thanks for your help.

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I just need to sell off a couple of things to make room for one. I thought I wanted a Pod-Pro but for the last few days I have been looking hard at this unit and it just seems to make more sense for my needs.

I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it so far.

Can anyone tell me if it can do volume swells? I sometimes need a bowed string type effect.

14. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    It's got a slow-gear setting in the Envelope section, plus it's got the volume pedal you can do it manually with, so I think you're covered.

15. Have extra cables lying around? Make use of them.

I leave two sets of Input & Output patch cords and AC adaptors at home and at the rehearsal space. I come in, plug in the ME-50B, plug in the bass, hit the power bar and I'm ready to rock before my drummer finds his sticks. It's literally 10 seconds.

16. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My complaint about the Me-50b is that it didn't come out years ago. I just ordered one and, if all goes well, I'll clean out my flight case (which contains an SVT3pro, a sabine tuner, an ADA digital delay, an Alesis NanoCompressor and two Alesis parametric EQs)

I was prepared to add an enevelope filter pedal and it made sence to use the ME-50 to do it all.

Despite my penchant for effetcs, I am a minimalist. I would encourage anyone using an me-50b or any bass efetcs to keep "less is more" in mind