Simply Shocked I tell you!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Jan 6, 2005.

1. So I've got the neck off of my favorite player - and decide to throw the fretboard radius gauge on it just for kicks. I've never done it but just assumed - you know. Well lo and behold, it's 7.25"! Not a problem except that all along I've assumed that it was 12" and I've made my roller coaster radius thing at that figure and all of my computer files say that. And for the last 5 years I thought that 12" was my most comfortable playing radius.

Maybe if I wasn't such an arrogant bastidge :eyebrow:

That actually explains a situation I had when I made my first neck. I tried to copy the profile of this one - more or less - but it just didn't feel right and part of that was the very, very slight decrease in thickness that can be gained at the edges of the fretboard while maintaining the thickness needed to sustain a trussrod. So while a little embarassing, it's also exciting to gain some ground in my design through the oversight.
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    That's my favorite radius on Stratocasters! Just feels right int he hand
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Measure twice - cut once strikes again!

7.25" sounds like a tight radius for a bass. Isn't Fender 9 or 10"? What kind of neck is this?
  4. It actually could be 7.5". It's hard to read with that small amount of difference.

This is a neck from a 1986 MIJ Fender '62 reissue. An accurate representation of the profile for sure. But this neck is different from all that I've seen in that the fretboard is thinner - to the point that it looks like a veneer fretboard on the sides, even though it's a slab. So, in that respect, it also looks right for the period. And, if I recall correctly, that radius was used for that period of J's. I'm not a stickler for Fender historical details so I'm not sure.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I think most old Fenders, and todays '62 RIs, are 7.25" radius. Current MIA Fenders are 9.5" radius or at least that's what I remember.
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd love to try one of those Atlansias, where the neck profile looks almost like an ellipse. And on the other hand, flat boards interest me, too.