Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SIMS custom LEDs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Robot-trashcan, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Has anyone else heard of this or seen a bass with these on? They're lights on the fret board that replace the dot inlays. I'm seriously looking into getting a set put on a bass because they look soooooo coooooool. Check out the sight and give me your thoughts.

www.simscustom.com

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I would like to have those, too, but I believe they are quite expensive (around 900 Dollars for every fret). So I can`t do that..

David

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It is very complicated, because the fretboard has to be removed for the cables..
    also it costs about $700 (for the whole fretboard) when new at the Warwick Custom Shop.
    so I guess it could be close to that.

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Last time Billy Sheehan came here for a clinic, he had the Sims done to his Attitude. It was very cool, but alas, served no purpose other than to illicit oohs and aahs. But then again, half of what basses are are cosmetic anyhow. Go ahead and do it. Be the envy of your friends. Help wounded airplanes to land in a field by using your fretboard as running lights. :D May I make a suggestion though? I would go ahead, blow the money, and get the side dots done as well as the front dots. That way, on a really dark stage, you can really see what's going on.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If it was $900 PER FRET, on a 24 fret bass, it would cost $9900! NOBODY would buy that. You could get a Warrior AND a custom Conklin for that price!

The LEDs are cool, though. If i had the money for a Warwick or a Status (which offer them without hassle), i'd get them for the hell of it. Of course, i dont have any money though!

6. I think what David-Adler was saying was, $900 for all frets inclusive..........

By the way if one burns out, you have to remove the fretboard to replace it.....I was going to have them installed on my G&L until I found out the hassle involved......I don't want my baby taken apart for any reason......

7. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'd say if thats what you want go for it. Sam Rivers has it on his warwick in his new video with limp bizkit and it looks really really cool.Im pretty sure that the bassest of jamiriqui has it done to his warwick also.

8. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'd do it right away, but plain leds are pretty dull. How 'bout 300W strobes instead? That would be a real freak out bass (especially if you happen to be epileptic)

Seriously, I've seen a custom Alembic (that cost something like 22.000$) with those leds and it was just the right kind of cheese for a bass of that caliber. I'm planning of buying a sims neck and building a bass around it.

9. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Gb Guitars of England built 2 basses for Mark King for his tour last year which had flashing LEDS which reacted to his playing.

http://www.gbguitars.clara.net

Needless to say they hopping like crazy to his frenetic playing.

By the way 26 Leds from Martin Sims is about $650 so not too bad really about £460!! for the whole thing.

10. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

I found out that Phantom was making them, too for about 790 DM what is approx 370 Dollars. They are not so bright, but cool looking though.

David

(Check www.phantom-guitars.de for info !)

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you don't want to pay the same money as a fairly decent bass for something that doesn't do anything for your sound, go for it.

Otherwise, have you considered HoLoDot or Fretware Inlay Alternatives?

The HoLoDots don't need wiring. I think they catch available light and change colors as you move.

Fretware Inlay Alternatives are actual abalone, either pre-cut, or you can buy sheets that you cut to design and stick on your frets. I was wondering about them slipping off over time, but they cover that off in their website's FAQ. HoLoDots are available on the web, too.

12. HoLoDots? Do you have a website that I could go to? I really want the SIMS, but really, money is always a factor and until I get rich, I probably won't get them, but its fun to think about having them...

13. http://www.holodot.bigstep.com/

this looks interesting.

I also remember ads in BP for a stick on fibre optic strip that illuminated the fret positions using an LED powered by a 9v battery placed on the headstock (probably screwing up the balance as a result too)

also in BP's "working stiffs" feature some guy said he cut bits out of Scotch fluorescent tape with a circular punch to put on the neck.

I tried cutting bits out of an old curly luminous guitar lead and sticking them on the neck- that could have worked if the lead wasn't so old.