sims LED lights in bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eddie f, May 31, 2005.

1. eddie f

eddie f

May 25, 2005

im thinking about throwing in some magnifiers in the neck of my bass. itll cost me about 400 bucks to install them into my p bass deluxe. good idea? has anyone on these forums used these before? im guessing if billy sheenan is ok with them then thats word enough for me. i just wanted to hear your thoughts.
  2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    A complete waste of money to me, unless you are in constant need of seeing where your hand is on the fretboard in a pitch dark stage,
    or wanna impress friends with "I have a glowing bass" :D

Anyway, thats my opinion :)
  3. i have some red ones on a czech spector 5 which is on the sims site somewhere. i wouldnt pay for them but it had them when i bought the bass so they have to stay now.

They do look cool tho ! :)
  4. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I haven't had it done to my bass, but if I had the $$$ burning a hole in my pocket I'd do it. A set of green ones to match my bass's trans green finish would be awesome, IMO. I don't think it will hurt your resale, depending on what year your bass is i.e. I wouldn't put them in a vintage instrument.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I had them on a Lull 5 and while they were nice, it was more of a novelty than a really useful thing. Go for it if you are OK with never seeing that money again. I've never seen them increase the resale value of a bass. They are just *there*. I still get asked if I have the "alien landing strip" bass, FWIW.

Just an observation, but it is so much cheaper to do this job when building the neck that I'm surprised that there isn't a manufacturer of necks (pick one) or basses that just builds them in. The cost is about $25 in LEDs and bezels, and the wiring is a piece of cake if the fingerboard is off the neck. I think they would be a lot more popular if you could get one off the rack for a $75 upcharge.

The SIMS job is expensive because it is a retrofit. On the upside, and based on the 2 basses I have seen with the conversion, they do a fantastic job and you really have to be a detective to find the evidence of their work.
  6. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    They sell a complete led set for bass or guitar on ebay for like 60 dollars I think. Its only the side markers I think but still it looks cool.
  7. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Please ignore the posts on this thread that do not see the need for LED's or those that think that LEDs are "just for show" I have LEDs on two of my basses and I wish that I had them on all of my basses. On a dark stage LEDs are great especially if you use alternate tunings on your instrument. It never ceases to amaze me the closed thinking of supposed "musicians" on this site.
  8. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Yes. I agree. Please ignore all opinion other than Hammer's. Even if they come form players who owned SIMS LED-equipped basses. Just ingore them. They are closed minded. Only Hammer knows the truth.
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Please feel free to reread my post. Perhaps reading conprehension is not your forte. I said "Please ignore the posts on this thread that do not see the need for LED's or think that they are just for show". I doubt if someone went to the trouble and expense of shipping their bass to SIMS to be retrofitted with LED's that they would fall into the category of thinking LED"s unneccessary or just for cosmetic purposes. Eddie F seemed like he was interested in getting LED's, why bother with the closedmindedness of the "LED's are a waste of money" crowd.
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Perhaps spelling isn’t yours?

[FWIW: I like SIMS led, and I'll probably be having them in my next bass]
  11. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    do you really want to get into a pissing contest over spelling? I thought that it was an unspoken rule that calling someone over spelling was just being anal. You might have noticed that while I made a snide remark about reading comprehension I didn't say anything about misspelling opinions and from in fretless' post.
  12. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hey man, chill out. It was just too good an opportunity to miss.

If I'm anal, then I'm just anal.
  13. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    There is a huge difference between having an opinion and telling someone to ignore everyone elses opinion.
  14. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Everybody is gonna be a "purist" when they get a chance, but I say the lights look cool. It's not a waste of money if some chick digs it right? How many girls at a gig go "hey he's using an origional SVT thats so hot! LIGHT UP DUDE!!! I wish I could afford it myself.
  15. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    There is a huge difference in reading all of a post and just reading the words "please ignore". I wasn't saying ignore everyone including those who had Sims LED's as you accused me. I said "Please ignore the posts on this thread that do not see the need for LED's or those that think that LEDs are "just for show" my point being is that someone with this closedminded opinion is not going to give any useful information on LED's and these opinions are plentiful on every thread about LED's that I have read on this site. If I knew that you would'nt read past those words I would have never posted it.
  16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    One player's LEDs are another's buckeye burl...

But come to think of it, I wouldn't mind both. :D
  17. Meh, I'd rather have LEDs than pay 500 bucks for a fancy wood top. Neither is necessary, both are for aesthetics(show) and everyone's free to like/dislike them.
    A set of green magnifiers would look hot on my Ibanez but then the upgrade would cost more than the bass is worth to begin with.