Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sargebaker, Apr 2, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I just got back from seeing it, kind of undecided whether i liked it alot or not. Discuss.
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I also just got back from seeing it and I liked it a lot. It had good fight scenes and stuff like that. I thought it was good.
  3. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Just got back form seeing it. I liked it. More gruesome than I had expected. I knew there was a reason Mickey Rourke kept hanging around films.
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    After reading reviews on the net I agree that it was too drawn out. I think the problem was Dwight (Clive Owen) that was pretty much the only seen that had me checking my watch. Rourke's segment was amazing. Frodo scared the s*** out of me. Visually I think it was brilliantly stunning, it's just theres something about length/story that doesn't sit right and left me feeling it could have been better.
  5. It was so very much faithful to the original graphic novels. So good! It was OTT in a way that just screamed comic book. I loved it.
  6. this movie totally wins. best i've seen in months.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Basically, I think it's unfair to call this a comic book adaption. There was no writing credits, and Frank Miller was listed as a co-director for a reason. Adapation implies some change, some mucking about to get it on film; in that sense, it's so disgustingly faithful to the comics, it borders on some strange parallel universe on film.

Frankly, I think it's the best adaption of any written material, period. The casting was a bloody coup, with everyone in the right roll, especially Frodo as Kevin and Mickey Rourke as Marv.

Is it a good movie? Yes. It's fanstastic. Someone said something about the acting: yeah, it's cheesy, but you have to keep in mind it's a noire film. Gumshoes and broads, tommy guns and Bogey, people. It's pitch perfect, the entire time.

As a huge fan of the comics for years, I gotta say: this makes Spider-Man's transition to film look like it was adapted by retarded monkeys. Simply put, this isn't a film, this is a moving comic book.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thought it was awful,

bad dialogue, and incredibly obvious and corny voiceovers. IMHO, had the maturity of a pre-teen, and played out like the wet dream of said teen.

and while the acting is supposed to harken back to film noir, IMHO, it just came off as bad acting. never thought i'd ever see Clive Owen mouth such horrible crap, and Britney Murphy, while a talented actress, IMHO, had the worst closeup / line of the whole movie.

but Roberto is a mad genius. the look of the film, the seamless use of green screen. he's a freakin' mad man of the highest order.

9. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    loved it. Every little bit of it.
  10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think that if you hadn't read all of the novels religiously (4or 5 times; I'm a nerd), you might not have gotten the full effect. After the movie, I went home and was surprised to see that most of the screen shots were verbatim from the panel layouts of the books. However, that being said, I think they bit off a little too much in trying to translate the staccato punch of Miller's noir style onto the screen, which totally compliments the illustrative style of the books.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. Same. I've read them all quite a few times, and I really think the verbatim filming of the comics rocked.
  12. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You nailed it, and a damn good one at that. Mickey Rourke's character is AMAZING!!!

I regret ever thinking twice after reading any bad review about this movie.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mickey Rourke as Marv is one of the best casting coups of all time.
  14. I've never wanted to read a comic so much after watching one movie. Amazing visuals, and even better stories.
  15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ditto! I saw it on the strength or Robert Rodriguez.

I think to criticize the dialogue and voiceovers out of the context of the film would be fair. However, in the context of this film they greatly serve the essence of the genre IMHO.

It could be said that the dialog from Monty Python's 'The Holy Grail' is obsurd or even stillted (yes, stillted) if you remove it from the context of film's genre.

However, we are talking about opinions here. I know people that think Armageddon is the best film ever made. I can not prove them wrong.
  16. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    oh boy this was one of the best movies i've seen in awhile. looked sooo friggin really was a comic book come alive.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ain't that a bitch?
  18. I saw it and loved it, but never read the comics, although I think I'm going to ask my friend if he has them so I can read them.

I know how you feel, I can't prove that Titanic sucks either :bawl:
  19. I'm going to make it my mission in life to have Titanic's utter crapulescence (not a word, but it should be) recognized as an absolute, undeniable truth. Brothers and sisters, join me!

20. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I saw it last night with my best friend. That movie totally rocks. I need to read those comic books NOW! (and I don't read comics hardly ever)

Quick question. What's the deal with Hartnett's character? (at the begininning and end of the movie) Just seemed kinda random to me.