Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Since Cliff is dead, was hoping one of you could help out.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JWC, May 4, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    On Metallica's seek and destory, you know the main riff thingy. Looks like this....

------------------5--------
    ----------5-----------7----
    -087---------7-------------
    ----------------------------

I can do this riff in the abstract. My fretting and plucking hands are fast enough. And when I put lubrication on my hands I can rip the whole song up. But for riffs like that, the strings are trying to stop me. They are fighting with my hands, which can do the riff. How should I play this?

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    with your left hand index finger at the fifth fret the rest will be under your fingers.

jc

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    hmmm, thats how I had been playing it. maybe i just suck. but no wait, i can play it my other bass. maybe my bass is a tard.

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    oh, by the way, 5th fret of the A string right?

5. lower the ol' action and practice it slowly at first. or you could play that G open.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If that's supposed to be the part in the intro before the verse riff, I just do a slide with my ring finger from the 8th fret, A string to the 7th fret, A string, then use your index and ring fingers to play the other notes. I used to do a pulloff with my pinkie to my ring finger, but that way sucked (for me anyway).

7. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Thanks everyone. Hey, DanceHall, what will lowering the action do in terms of helping. Im willing to try. Been wanting to lower mine anyhow.

8. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I'ts a weird ol' riff that. Does the same thing to me, I can't seem to play it without my fingers fumblin' all over the shop. I end up with my finger stuck under the string!! :D