1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Since the other thread is no tell...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Spacelordmother, May 1, 2006.

1. I just had to comment on some of these basses! specifically some of these basses' tops! WOW! :eek:

Luke Sheridan
    [​IMG]

what spalted wood is that exactly?

gyancey
    simple and elegant:
    [​IMG]
    awesome top! the "f" hole isn't really my style, but otherwise that thing is gorgeous!
    [​IMG]

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

I'd like to know about this one. Care to comment, Giel? I love the shape.

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    good call...

Paintandsk8, how it the inonation on that upright? Is the bridge on a slant or anything? What does the neck feel like (any thicker than a normal electric bass)? And where did you get your supplies? I'm interested in building an electric upright.

JSP, I'm going to have so see some morepics of those beasts. Those contours are amazing. Please, that is.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Regarding the wood question in post #1, they look like:
    rotten something (aka "spalted")
    spruce
    rotten maple

5. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks, I really dig the shape myself, it's good to hear others like it aswell :hyper:
    Here are some specs..
    - White Korina body
    - Wide Gecko 5 Neck, Maple/Purpleheart/Pau Ferro
    - Neck pickup: EMG 45TW
    - Bridge pickup: EMG 45 TW
    - 2 mini switches for pups: single coil/dual coil
    - EMG BQC Control
    - Gotoh 206 Bridge String trough body..
    - Gotoh GB7 Tuners
    - DR High Beams

Basicly I just put a wide gecko 5 on a body made by myself, I was very lucky to be helped by one of the best luthiers of my country! It think it looks good, concidering its my first home-brew-bass..
    It sounds great to! The pickups are so versatile and I highly recommend the white korina bodywood, awesome tonewood!

And here are some more pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The intonation of the upright is better than the intonation of my hands, that's for sure!:p The neck is alot thicker than a bass guitar, it is about 1.5" thick @ the center if you took a cross section. Just about anything you want to know can be found here. There's a parts list with sources on the secord or third page.

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    [​IMG]

Hey gyancey, I'm really diggin that spruce top. I've actually been thinking of doing the same on a future project for a while now. Anything I should be aware of workability/finishing wise?

8. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Thanks! Its Spalted Maple on Black Limba with Cocobolo fretboad on birdseye maple.

9. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. Its really not all that hard to work with but it is a softwood so you have to more carefull - keep your workbench clean, etc. It finishes fine.

The fretless five string mentioned earlier has a rotten (spalted) sycamore top, not maple. Its hard to tell from a distance but obvious close up. I wish I had painted the ash in the cavity black because camera flashes make the soundholes look white...

10. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Yap! That's a beaut.