Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Since they don't want a gun debate in the Glock 40 thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd like to start one here.

1st - I dont' think we should be discussing what types of guns to buy on talkbass, and what's a good deal or not on an assault weapon.

2nd - I believe people should have the right to own guns because if they didn't we'd be in REALLY big trouble due to the now cliche "then only outlaws would have guns".

3rd - I believe no matter how you twist or turn turn owning any type of weapon that you're not going to be using for hunting means you have a lot of fear in your life.

4th - I believe gun manufacturers don't care who gets killed with the guns that that they manufacture, they only care about sales, and things need to be radically changed.

5th - I believe the world would be an enormously better place if guns were never invented.

That's all for now. Keep it civil you gun toting barbarians. :)

2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1000 on your first point.

If this is what the moderator believes to be acceptable thread material on a BASS GUITAR forum (even in the off-topic section), then I believe it reflects very very badly on the otherwise good service provided by TalkBass. Very sad.

I'm sure there are 1000s if site devoted to glock appraisals. Use them instead. Putting it on these forums is a jeuvenile attempt to look cool and tough.

3. Absolutely

I have reported it and hope that it will be closed pronto.

Disgraceful (IMHO) that it has continued thus far.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    taken from the glock .40 thread

i think this applies to new threads too joe.

(clears throat)

Perhaps I wasn't loud enough before.

AS OF NOW, ALL MEMBERS ARE TO DISCONTINUE ANY DISCUSSION OF THE MORALITY OF GUNS OR OTHER FIREARMS, EITHER IN REPLY TO A PREVIOUS POST, OR TO BEGIN A NEW POST.

If you wish to debate on guns, you may do so in Tin Pan Alley, assuming you have a supporting membership. This thread does fall within the parameters of an acceptable TB thread, and does not break any rules. The next post dealing with gun debate will make me very very angry. I have not yet had my coffee, and want to go get said coffee. I like coffee. Please, I implore you, it's not hard.

Thank you.

5. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    deleted...apologies to mod

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just FYI, perhaps folks should read the sticky forum rules at the top of this forum....and remember what the little exclamation point at the top of each post does....

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    +1

8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    How do we report something to Paul?

I am really angry that that thread is being allowed in OT. I didn't realize till a few minutes ago, thought it was in the lobby. I also complained about it in a PM and was told to take it to paul. I think it's incredibly irresponsible to allow that thread, and ESPECAILLY to delete all responses in opposition to it. It would seem as though none of us have a problem with guns, discussing them here, etc. It's glamorizing the whole thing too. I'm starting to get pretty worked up over this... more than usual. I feel strongly enough almost to say it's the end of me here if they start doing this crap.

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Are you kidding me? I know there are several gun collectors who will be totally straight with me on a price here on TB...so I posted. Get over it.

What else is the OT section for if not for things like this? Gimme a break.

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm curious if anyone posting here even knows what a Glock is. Just things you've seen in 'gansta' movies? Get over yourselves.

By this reaction you'd think I the title of my thread was "Is this a good price for a grenade laucher?"

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Plus its not like we are talking about guitars... now there is outrage:D

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    How does this fall into contridiction with the OT rules? We've had TONS of gun topics in the OT. Why does this one have you all riled up? I asked if I was getting a fair price. You're the one who brought up the morality issue.

The only one I see violating any rules are you and your buddies.

13. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    We've been being respectful about our opinions. You are breaking rules by taking direct hits at us and getting personal.

I've never seen gun threads in off topic before and if I did I'd have had a problem with it then.

It seems ludicrous to me that a post like that is allowed, but a post or response saying we don't like it isn't. If I had a kid I would be really pissed if he came to me saying he was interested in a glock that he saw here on talkbass. Give ME a break.

14. +1! +1!

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    joe, i own a pistol. i dont hunt. i dont fear many things(besides something happening to my bass'). i dont own a gun because i fear things. i was raised by gun nuts. my dad, my uncle, my grandfather. all gun lovers. i learned to shoot at the age of 6. i havent stopped since.

i have only hunted once.

you wanna know why i own a firearm? because i like to target shoot. i enjoy the release. i enjoy knowing i have that power in my hands. the only things i enjoy doing more then shooting, is playing bass, my girlfriend, and smoking.

i keep my gun in my garage. in a "finger print" lock box, inside of a tool box(thats locked) and inside of a cabinet. which is also locked. bullets are kept in my basement, also in a locked cabinet.

16. That's between you and the mod you got the PM from...posting that information here could definitely be construed as questioning a mod in public, which is not allowed.

I'd suggest you delete or edit that post before you get yourself a ban.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow!

I'm very sorry we disagreed Nanny. By the way, the forum rules state that moderators are not be questioned in public. I would kindly ask you re-read those rules.

I'm also very disappointed that you are publicly posting something about me threatening you. First, I did not threaten you. Second, my PM clearly stated I was hurt and disappointed by you referring to me as a dictator, pro-gun, and not objective. I work very hard for this site, and it's times like this that bum me out the most.

I hope all that I've ever had to talk to privately know that I'm not a threatening person, and that I try and deal with people fairly. I'm so sorry it came to this.

I'm leaving now. I don't care what happens with either thread, because I tried to act fairly, and now I'm being attacked on the boards. So, I'm heading off for the day, the situation has been passed off to Paul, and it's unfortunate that we're all airing this dirty laundry publicly. But I'm tired and just ... don't ... care.

Thank you Nanny for attacking me publicly and personally, when I took the time to give you a detailed and thoughtful PM explaining things.

18. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sean...excellent points, all. I don't agree, but hey, target shooting in the back 40...well, whatever works for you man.

Pro-gun, anti-gun...my views are known...but the point is that gun appraisals do not belong on these forums. Its an explosive issue, offensive to many. Legal, yes. But then so is:

prostitution
    anl sex
    abortion
    instructions on building explosive devices (for mining purposes, of course)
    Iraq
    the Baldwins
    etc
    etc

I dare you to start a thread on any of these. I won't. Because it would be in bad taste, offensive to many, and wouldn't belong in bass forums. Even off topic ones.

p.s....good points on the mod stuff...I'll edit and keep it in the PMs

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In jazzbo's defense we haven't always seen eye-to-eye but he's always been fair as far as I've seen, including today. There is no rule prohibiting discussing hobbies such as gun collecting and shooting. Someone turned it political, against forum rules, and Jazzbo acted accordingly regardless of any thoughts he had on the original topic.

brad cook

20. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Minus calling us freaks.

Sorry you've missed those.

Notice that your posts were left in the thread while mine that were in response to yours were deleted.

Sorry that you feel this way about guns, but I think I can understand it. I mean, if I had a kid who came to me and said "Hey I want to start wearing makeup and girls clothing like this guy on TB does" I'd probably be upset...kind of like you are now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.