1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Since When Can Any Guitarist Can Play Bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by danjl131, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danjl131

danjl131

Jun 10, 2008
    So i was on the bus this afternoon and i noticed the kid behind me was messin around with drum sticks... i said " u a drummer" he said "yeah, and guitarist, what do u play?" i said "guitar and bass" then he said "oh u dont need to say bass too, any guitarist can play bass". i hear about this happening many times but never happened to me b4 so i decided not to argue and i said "well not really, they kno left hand technique and pick playing but thats it" he said "yeah but the bass does what the guitar does" i said "not always, they both do two separate functions in a band" he said "yeah like funk and flea slap stuff, guitarists dont slap but thats the only difference" i just turned around after that and got off at my stop. what r ur thoughts on this? was i wrong or right?

2. Everyone exist in their own tunnel of perception. Don't worry about being wrong or right, even though your right.

3. GreenFunkGuy

GreenFunkGuy

Apr 21, 2007
    College Park
    That person is worth the weight of their drum sticks. It's certainly true that there are similarities between guitar & bass, but they're not the same. A bass player is part of the rhythm section, a guitar player doesn't have to be. John Frusciante (RHCP guitar player) plays both guitar and bass, and it's apparent in his guitar playing that he understands the difference, imo.

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    :scowl:
    My initial thought is....ENGLISH, learn it, live it, write it.

Seriously, text-speak gives me a headache.:meh:

5. +1 lol.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    ...and he was sitting on the bus messing with his drumsticks to get attention, and you gave him an opportunity to prove his lack of wisdom.

7. danjl131

danjl131

Jun 10, 2008
    MyUsernameHere and Kgoodrich,

This post has been edited as it is in violation of TB Rule #1: Respect your fellow members. All registered users must address fellow members with the utmost respect at all times. If you do not agree with a fellow member, be courteous in your response. Thomas Jefferson said it best: "When I hear another express an opinion which is not mine, I say to myself, he has a right to his opinion, as I to mine".

8. That guy is doomed to the garage band sound for life.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Guitar players think they can do anything.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Ignorance is bliss....................
    I would deem it more ignorant to actually believe it or get jacked out of shape about it.

11. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    (sigh) Kid, a friendly piece of advice. Most of the folks around here are a little older and don't understand net speak. It's annoying to read, and I'm a geek by profession. Show some respect, you never know what bridge you are burning.

But as to your post, you're right, it's annoying when someone says that any guitarist can play bass. Throw some Rush back their direction (I saw them listed in your profile as an influence). Alex can't do what Geddy does, nor could Geddy do what Alex does. That's a band where the members know their roles.

-Mark

12. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    The irony.;)

Seriously, lighten up. Take a look at the other posts here. Everybody tends to write using the actual English language because its a whole lot easier to understand than what you're doing.

However, if you want your posts to look like they were written by some 13 year old girl banging away on a Hello Kitty IPhone...be my guest.

13. h3s rite, gud gramer 1s imporatat n talkbas has spelchek s0 use it

Jokes aside, guitarists who pick up a bass once or twice and claim to play bass lack the rhythmical and tonal authority required to play well. Simply put, it sounds wimpy.

14. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, the iPhone has auto-correct...it at least TRIES to make you type properly! :D

-Mark

15. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Epic Fail directed at random kid on bus.

16. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    +1000

17. loll

18. This is a fun subject for me. Since I do play "kiddie guitar" also, I love when this comes out of a guitar players mouth and I get to do an instrument swap. That look on their face when they realize they kinda suck on both instruments!

Brings back my favorite original bass player joke of the year.......

What did the Blonde say when dating a bass player for the first time after dating guitar players all of her life......."Hey That Hurts"!

19. gregh

gregh

Sep 15, 2008
    I'm a guitarist and play a little bass - primarily for convenience but also for enjoyment. I wouldn't dream of thinking I can play bass as well as a bass player. Quite a different attitude musically and technically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.