Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Since when do birds chirp in rhythm?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    The other morning I was sitting on my couch when I heard a bird singing. I started listening to it and it seemed like it was chirping at timed intervals. So I started counting. I got through 4 before it did it again. It ended at 4 and I counted a full 4 before it started at 1. Perfect rhythm. It continued this pattern for a while, then one of us got off track(I swear it was the bird!:D) and my counts weren't in sync with it any more. Is this a common behavior of birds?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've noticed that birds usually do chirp in rhythm for a while. They may have two chirps every second, for 5 seconds or so then stop for a while then go out of rhythm then come back again...kind of like drummers...hahaha.:p

In Costa rica I heard a bird that I swear sung a major scale ascending in one sustained chirp.

3. I've noticed blackbirds seem to compete with each other in the complexity of their song- picking up on each other's melodies and elaborating on them.

once when we had a Jimi Hendrix record on loud with the windows open my brother said he noticed a blackbird pick up a guitar lick :D

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The 20thC composer Olivier Messiaen transcribed loads of different birdsongs and turned them into piano pieces - the titles tell you which birds and so if you are interested you can hear them in a listenable form. He also incorporated some of the ideas into other larger orchestral works.

5. Wow, birds... my favorite subject!

Anyway, I noticed that sparrows are very good imitators. Crazy stuff can happen when you practice with a bunch of those critters nearby, like getting the idea that all your lines are echoed.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, but they're not as bad as drummers.

EDIT: Damn, WR got in there first with a drummer joke :spit:

7. There are two Mockingbirds that have a home right next to my bedroom window..they start chirpping at about 2:30 in the morning..it sounds cool for a while. but every night! it gets old really fast..they have about a hundred differant tunes and these bird are way loud, they sometimes sing until 5 AM...I lived back east for a while, I remember the Robins were quite nice to listen to in the morning, very pleasant harmonious chirpping/singing

Fetch!

8. My favorites are Sheryl Crow and the Eagles.

Mike :p

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats very funny Mike Good one:) .

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I frequently get into the forest with an old guitar and jam with birds.
    It's a pretty fascinating experience.
    I recommend it to anyone.
    Once you've found the way they sing, it becomes pretty easy.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    so each chirp is like a song then?

that's cool.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This is really interesting stuff...I've always known birds to have rhythm, but I alsways thought it was all relatively random.