Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singer/Drummer Trouble, Venting, I dunno...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Jun 23, 2003.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    So my singer is very unhappy with my drummer. This has gotten to the point of she wants to kick him out of the band.

She says he sometimes has tempo problems, has an attitude problem a lot of the time, is inconsistent, and doesn't have the commitment level she wants.

In other words, he is a typical drummer - at least, so my experience tells me.

Problem. Drummer is an old friend of mine. I have been playing with him a lot longer than her and the git man (her husband).

She is a very good front person. Good singer, extremely versatile, a great stage presence, and brass balls. Her and I get along very well musically, and so far, have a good vibe going on original songs we are working together.

my drummer and I usually get along well musically, although he is a definite pain to deal with at times.

Other problem. My drummer's office is our rehearsal space which we currently have for free and at almost any time we want.

Not sure what I am gonna do about this all. Just needed to vent.

2. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    In my experience, you've got to try to heal this rift before it gets full blown or the whole thing may blow up in your face.

Perhaps you can suggest to your drummer buddy that he work with the metronome? You guys could get together alone and work on your groove with a click. It WILL help.

This assumes that the drummer is motivated and wanting to improve.

Maybe you can take him aside and gently suggest he look at some of the annoying behavior?

FWIW. Just some ideas.

Good luck to you.

3. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Ummm...My experience is that playing with a married couple never works out in the long run. Sometimes baggage is there that shouldn't apply to the rest of the band...but enough of that...I agree to work through the drummer "can bashing" issue first and maybe the problem will take care of itself. Could be the Drummer is bored, ask him if he wants to change some beats or something...

Good Luck