1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singer Fired Himself Last Night

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TBPlayerOC, Oct 17, 2019.

1. TBPlayerOC

TBPlayerOC

Oct 17, 2013
    Orange, CA
    Hey TBers,
    This is going to be mostly a rant so get your popcorn and buckle your seat belts!

I am part of a U2 tribute band and our drummer wrangled us a Wednesday night slot at a venue known for booking some major acts. It was pretty much an audition to see how we do. This gig had been on the books for about 6 weeks or so.

Last night we played the gig. The vocalist finally shows up at 15 minutes before downbeat, wearing board shorts, a t-shirt and sandals. No Bono glasses, no wireless mic, no harmonica, no clothes to change into. Did I mention we are a U2 tribute??

Needless to say we were all stunned and pissed. We performed the show and there were times he just sat down on the drum riser checking his @#$% phone!

The drummer, guitarist and myself had around 15 people in the audience and one guy came from Riverside to see us (that is an hour or more drive ONE WAY).

We finish the show and the singer leaves within 5 or 10 minutes. The owner chewed out the drummer and we sat with our guests before we started load out.

After load out we thanked the owner for the opportunity and had an honest discussion with him and we will have a chance to perform there again in the future.

The 3 of us met outside and there was no question that we were done with the singer and his nonsense.

We pulled all of our gear from the rehearsal space today and gave him the news. Now the search is on for a new front man. Ahh bands.

tldr; Singer doesn't play a gig dressed appropriately, embarrasses the band and gets fired.

Mr_Moo, Beej, newwavefrank and 19 others like this.
  2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    What? Why would he do that? Is this normal behavior for him?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. TBPlayerOC

TBPlayerOC

Oct 17, 2013
    Orange, CA
    He just didn't care how he looked or made us look. He claims he was bored with the band. The crazy thing is he is the one that brought us together.

He is just an unmotivated, lazy person. There were many signs that he wasn't right, but the other guys in the band wanted to ignore them.

I had put an ultimatum that if there wasn't any change in his behavior that this was my last gig. Well, he did what he did and fired himself.

The drummer and guitarist and I get along pretty well so we will work to find another front man. We have a couple of leads.

Another thing that occurred today is we were contacted by a booking agent. I will see how that conversation goes.

Mr_Moo, retslock, nixdad and 6 others like this.
  4. 3Liter

3Liter

Feb 26, 2015
    Hobbiest
    Why'd the owner chew out the drummer?

dkelley and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    My guess: He was there.

6. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    The drummer booked the gig.

Mr_Moo, MobileHolmes, dkelley and 7 others like this.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Yeah, can't work.
    How you will find what you're looking for.

8. He was definitely bored with the gig. Hope you can find a replacement.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    dude.

10. The Dude abides....

Mr_Moo, Oobly, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  11. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    The OP's description of the singer, and the OP being from Dudeland, a match made in Heaven (or Ralphs).

Ekulati, DJ Bebop, MCF and 3 others like this.
  12. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    My mantra- you are only as good as your last gig. Don't blow it.

Beej, DJ Bebop, 74hc and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    My guess: he wanted to get fired. He knew what he was getting into and still did what he did.

Anyway, good riddance and good luck on your quest for glory!

14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Singer needs to check his meds. Maybe they aren't working...... that is pitiful.

15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Obviously, the owner is a member of TB. When someone needs firing, find the drummer.

16. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Exactly. He was being nice just chewing him out. Should have canned him in the spot. :roflmao:

17. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    dumb comment

18. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Maybe the owner was a bass player.

DJ Bebop and 3Liter like this.
  19. TBPlayerOC

TBPlayerOC

Oct 17, 2013
    Orange, CA
    Owner was there to check us out. They normally stream all of their acts, but because of our singer he didn't allow that to occur.

Mr_Moo, DJ Bebop and MCF like this.
  20. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I am just wondering. How easy is it to get a replacement singer that has the vocal range/quality, knows the material and can convincingly impersonate Bono on stage?

That must be a bit of a chore finding the right person?