Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singer going to Iraq now what?!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Sep 22, 2005.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Long time no post. As I am sure no one missed me I am still hoping y'all could still give some advice on this subject.

Our singer left last Sunday for training before he is stationed around Fallujah. He said when he gets back(18 months) he is looking forward to playing some shows etc but if we have new singer he is looking forward to coming to some shows. When he said that I could tell it hurt.

Drummer and guitarist are wanting to find a new singer asap.

Bit of background. The singer is the only unmarried member(recently engaged) and was the lax guy sometimes skipping practice, chasing skirts at the shoes even though we all no his girlfriend. In other words he sometimes pi$$ed us off. Especially me as I have wanted to give him the boot many times.
    We also play 2-4 shows a month.

Well now I am feeling bad about looking for another singer as I feel we are taking something away that he can look forward too while stationed in a bad situation. I feel like we might be doing something I will feel very guilty about for awhile. Sort of like having the girl dump you before you go to war.

Any advice or tips??

Side note it is nice visiting again!!!

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Well, he can't expect you to be singerless for a year and a half. Maybe, start a "new" band with someone else. If you guys had any originals that he helped write, I wouldn't play them with a new singer. Also, you should have a show when he gets back, invite him to it, and mid-set, invite him up on stage for a few "oldies" that he would remember from when you guys played. Introduce him to the crowd as the hero he is, etc. Your new singer, when you get one, shouldn't have a problem with that.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Good call an the songs we wrote. Unfortunatly I write all of the music(minus drums) and I decide on the length of verses, chorus and breaks etc.

I even help with writing some of the lyrics(20%) and I even help with the vocal lines along with the guitarist. So it will be hard to let those songs go as they really are mine musically etc. I see your point.

Also I think you are spot on with your assessment of what we should do as far as a new singer. I think a name change for the band would help. Heck maybe even get to bands going when he gets back. But in reality that would be alot of work.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe you could just find a "temp" for the job. You could also have different versions of your songs with little emphasis on vox.

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    IME, going through a "song purge" can actually help your writing a lot. You won't feel tied down to a certian style, etc. We've done that once or twice, and it has helped out a LOT.

I think the name change is a great idea. When he comes back, announce him in the middle of your set, and say something to the effect of "tonight only, a one time reunion show for all you fans, it's <insert current band name here> together on stage again!" Also, I think suprising him at the show with this would be wonderful.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Odie! I wondered what the hell happened to you. Gimme a hug.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, me too!!

IMHO, the show must go on. I would find a new singer, but that is just me, I guess.

8. I would go ahead and find a new singer. A lot can change in a year and a half. When your current singer gets back, he may be ready to get married, move somewhere else with his new wife, be into completely different music, etc. At the same time, you could find a new singer who plays with you for about a year, and then takes a new job in Alaska or something.

I think it would probably be best for everyone right now if you go ahead and find a replacement.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Big smooch and a pat on the butt back at you. By the way the militant look is very fetching.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Send him new socks every once in awhile.