singer really does not match the band.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass of Spades, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    Well, I just got into my first band which is way awesome, but there's a problem.

They have got somewhat of an idea of who they are and what they're about and they have two songs. The only thing is that they've got some kickass heavy spells in the guitars and I'm adding to that but stylisticly speaking, the singer doesn't match.

it's like cher singing with korn.

and I know it's different but that's not always a good thing.

I don't really want to say anything because I am the new one and from the sound of it, she put everything together. Not to mention that she is the only one who writes songs (very slowly though a.k.a. 6 months for lyrics of one song).

From what I gather, they are very pleased with me and my abilities and I am stoked to be in a band, but the singer is just killing me. Not to mention there aren't alot of playing oppertunities around here.

So there's my situation. And my question is the classic "what would you guys do?"

Thanks loads in advance,
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Run with it for a while. If you realy can't stand it, then find another gig. Or suggest a different sound to the singer. Maybe find some bands with female singers that you think they should sound like, and play those for them.
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have a similar thing.

i play in a full time band, which i love.

i also jam with my best friend, who signs. we jam with his two cousins(one drums, one guitar) and he thinks that because he can write a song, we will get huge and be this famous rock band.

a.) he sucks at singing.
    b.) all his songs are about the same thing, and or same the same ****.
    c.) im the only one in the band who can play. hell, i can play the guitar better then the guitar player and drums better then the drummer. if i tried, ic ould probably sing better then the singer.
    d.) only reason i agreed is cause my friend bitched at me till i said yes. something about dreams and how i need to be a part of it.

it sucks the life out of me. its really terrible, i try and fix the songs they write and its still bad,
  4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Well if they only have 2 songs I would suggest just try and write some more songs. Maybe those 2 songs just aren't working well with the vocalist. I know our singer sometimes just doesn't have ideas for a song so his vocals aren't up to par. We help him out and try and polish it up until they fit.

Maybe once you feel comfortable with the band suggest to them in practice one day if they want to try writing as a band? That way everyone has a say in every part of the song.

Hopefully something I said helped.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The band I'm in is pretty similar. The singer not only doesn't fit the band at all, but also prevented us from trashing everyone else at a Battle of the Bands -- keep in mind, this isn't something I heard 3rd hand. I got this straight from 2 of the 3 judges! Her lyrics aren't the best either. She's a REALLY great friend, I love her to death, but damn.

That said, I guess ours is breaking up. The drummer's quitting and we don't have any playing opportunities in the near future. Whatever.
  6. I'm kind of in the same position as you guys, except I'm the one who sucks :(
  7. You should stick with it for awhile and see if it goes anywhere. You never know... maybe you aren't the only one who sees it's a bad fit.

Lots of people in GOOD bands played together in BAD bands before refining their sound and getting the right mix of people.

Maybe you should do some singing or suggest that she doesn't do EVERY lead if anyone else has some vocal skills.
  8. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    I would love to sing and I have the ability, however, I can't sing and play bass. I don't know why, I just can't. and one of our guitarists sings when we're just messin' around and he is pretty good. But every body sticks to our lead singer. *sigh* this really stinks.
  9. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    We almost had to kick our singer out of the band...nice guy, but he was sounding flat and he didn't sound great on our demo. Before our first gig, the rest of the band was pretty panicked.

However, I remembered in my first band, 20 years ago, our timid, shy, anti-social and stage fearing guitarist became an ANIMAL his first time on stage. A totally different person...he really rocked! So I convinced my band to stick with the singer, let him get one gig under his belt and see if his confidence or attitude changed.

A year later, he is by far the main attraction in our band, with a KILLER voice. He just needed time and confidence. I think confidence (good or bad) effects singers more than any other band member .

The Nanny
  10. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    The Nanny is my new favorite poster on this forum.

I say you give the band a little more time to get the tunes together. It isn't going to hurt your playing to jam with some new people for a while. If the singer still isn't doing it for you then find another band.

Some things to keep in mind (so you don't waste your time):

1) What are your goals in this band? Do you want to gig? Do you just want to learn how to play better? Do you just want to jam with some friends?

2) If you want to gig then 6 months to write lyrics is inexcusable. Thats like saying it will take you 6 months to think up a bass line. Who ever is going to write the lyrics needs to get them out in a timely fashion. If they are going to take that role then they need to do it. If the music is there then it shouldn't take the lyricist more then 2 weeks to figure out what to sing.

3) You have two songs right now- you probably need 9 to do a gig. This means that at your singer's current rate of writing songs you'll be ready in... lets see... about 4 years.

4) Who cares if you are the new guy. YOU ARE THE BASS PLAYER. You got into this band because you are good- so say what you think about the music. There are half a zillion bands looking for good bass players.
  11. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    well, you got two choices: Love it, or Lump it.

It's not your band. If you really can't stand the singer, then either you get everyone else to agree to get rid of her, or you move on.