1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singer/Songwriter I worked with years ago just released EP with Tony Levin on bass!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dkelley, Sep 3, 2020.

1. This sounds stupid maybe, but since Levin is one of my idols, now I can say it took Tony Levin to replace me.

hahahhaa

I feel very good about this, specially when she texts me across the country to tell me about the release, and it sounds great, and she's going on about how the bassist isn't as good as me.

She was always very very kind to me. I know it's friendship as much as anything, and that's how I like it. But it's something I can take to my grave with a little smile on my face :)

My former bandleader: "It took Tony Levin to replace you me when you were unavailable."

kk... seriously, I'm done now. And no, I'm not bragging, I'm laughing about it because it's one of those anecdotes that you can spin if you want, but is just an innocent coincidence in reality (I'm sure that he must have been the connection to do session bass for her new producer, and was available, and had a fitting style).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  2. Fraoich

The artist in question, fwiw. Roughly 22 years ago we recorded an album (and I'd worked with her for many years leading up to this), toured, and went far enough to have a couple of our songs appear on CDs of popular songs. But definitely the style we had back then was much less produced than these new versions sound... it was a different time, different group.

Anyhow - the first two songs on her current website were from the old days, but they are new versions done with the new band, and the last two songs are entirely new compositions she has done since I worked with her. Weird to hear what Tony Levin does on bass for songs that I originally wrote the basslines for.... and kind of validating also when I hear him come up with some similar ideas while inventing great other ideas elsewhere in the songs.

Or... maybe it's just that I tend to cop his licks and grooves a lot, so maybe my original parts happened to sound sorta like how Tony himself ended up doing it in the new version!?

She got connected with folks like Tony Levin through Kim Mitchell with whom she performed last year. I would have still been working with her, but I have kids now, and a wife, and that sort of time away from home just isn't possible.

LoL - what a bizarre, but cool, situation to be in :)

So weird that the latest Tony Levin album I am going to buy is the one where he's playing songs I originally played on... it's so amazing and strange and awesome!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Roger W, makaspar and kobass like this.
  3. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    That's pretty awesome! Congrats! I loved reliving your excitement vicariously!

dkelley likes this.
  4. haha, cool

BaileyMan likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021