1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singer with only Bass backup

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by porteous, Nov 3, 2006.

1. porteous

porteous

Mar 24, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    I was just listening to a wonderful recording of Suzanne Vega, live at Montreux (2004). Although she has her band with her, at least half of the disc is just her singing with the lone support of her long-time bassist, Mike Visceglia. I was really struck but how effective the bass guitar is at supporting a singer. There have been thousands of recordings of the singer and his or her guitar, but do any singers accompany themselves with a bass? (either their own or with a bassist next to them).

Can anyone suggest other recording where all you have is voice and bass guitar?

2. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I discovered John Lester last weekend, thanks to Steve Lawson who had him as a special guest.
    He's a talented singer and only uses bass to sing along.

4. The only thing I can really add here is that I have seen Suzanne Vega twice, and Mike Visceglia is an incredibly underrated bassist!!! Some of the most tasteful and melodic lines out there. Not to mention hearing Suzanne sing live is like a minor religious experience. If you ever get the chance to see her in concert, you won't regret it. I don't care what kind of music you like.

5. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Try to find Rob Wasserman's 'Duets', an excellent disc of his bass paired mostly with solo vocalists like Aaron Neville, Ricky Lee Jones, Dan Hicks and Bobby Mc Ferrin. Also duets w/ himself on bass, Stephane Grappelli etc.
    I've been listening to it for over 10 years and it still holds up. He's done a 'Trios' too, but 'Duets' is better.

6. been trying to write for bass and vocals for so long but just cant pull it off. i envy those people

7. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
  8. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
  9. YES +1!!

Nathan Hughes!

Good voice, bass playing, and lyrics.

10. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member