Singers in the House?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DirtDog, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Yes - Lead Singer.

17 vote(s)
  2. Yes - Backup Singer.

16 vote(s)
  3. Sometimes - more of a doowop girl than anything.

3 vote(s)
  4. Nope!

13 vote(s)
  1. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    How many of you perform an active role as a singer - while playing bass - in your band?

Me? I sing backup rather poorly - more like hollerin'

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I sing back-up in my band. I do lead vocals on two songs, but the bass lines in those two songs are kept simple. I find it somewhat hard to sing well and play well at the same time and I admire those who can pull it off.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I can hold my own, but I don't do it much, it's a shame because I have a pretty large vocal range( about 3 octaves) but it goes unused most of the time.
  4. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I don't sing at all in my band but I do sing while bassin' it up every now and then.

While playing DB for my high school's production of Oklahoma! last weekend, I was also singing the bass/baritone parts. It was fun.

Hey! I had to sing... my orchestra teacher and chorus teacher both wanted me to be a part of THEIR ensemble, so I did what I could to please them both!
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I sing lead on about two songs a set, but mostly I'm the primary back up singer. Our guitar player has selective pitch.:D
  6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I can hardly talk and play at the same time, it's pathetic. I know ten year olds who can sing and play bass better than me... not really
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Active metal vocalist. I can sing, but not well enough to consider a career in "clean" vocals. Jump jump scream scream vocals. Hardcore, Death Metal, whatever, I just handle the "badger in the pants" vocals.

I'm getting better at regular singing, but I mostly do the metal vocals.

Loves me some screaming.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I plan on singing backup once we get a new vocalist. (old one didnt work out)
  9. Backup.

In the band I play with*, the lead singer is highly defensive of her position, lyrics, and vocals, and will not let anyone borrow or play with them ever. (She didn't get real defensive about it until I started doing backups, though. hmm... :rolleyes: )

Back to the shower for me... :bawl: ;)

* I'm still hesitant to call it "my band", I really have nothing to do with it other than standing in it and playing bass
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Not pretty, but I sing lead and play fretless on a bunch of tunes
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I sing backups, and I sing lead on around 4-9 songs per night. It's actually easier for me to sing lead. I find it easier to find my melody note as opposed to my harmony note.
  12. Yeah, i sing. I was a lead singer in a band for ten years. I played acoustic rhythm guitar then. About 4 years ago I made the switch to bass and while I do sing occasionally with my current group (it's hard to sing and play bass!) I don't miss it very much. I enjoy more my contribution as a bassist than I ever did being the lead singer..go figure!
  13. Lead I find it easier to sing and play plus in my band im the only one who can stay on pitch and when people sing off pitch it throws my off plus it makes me wanna get violent if their off key

* Throws a two liter of pop at brothers head for singing along to music
  14. Both my guitarist and I share lead vocals. Since we're a metal/punk band, he sings more of the metal songs, I sing more of the punk songs. Besides...I find it a little difficult to play and sing metal songs at the same time, since we do songs like "No More Tears" and "Seek and Destroy."
  15. Lead Singer here... Anyway, that doesn`t mean Good singer:D But I hate lead singers, so i had to start singing... Anyway, if Les Claypool is singing why I can`t?

16. In my main band, I used to sing backup but don't anymore. I plan to steal some vocals back in the future though :D

In my second band, I'm the main backup singer and I sing lead on any songs I write, which only numbers one at the moment...I have numerous others completed that I simply haven't figured out exactly how to produce for performance yet though.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't sing lead with my band, but I have started singing solos at church.
  18. In an average night of 45 songs,(approximately):

sing backup while playing bass - 15 songs
    sing backup while playing keys - 5 songs
    sing lead vocals (not playing) - 2 songs

The remaining 23 songs I'm not singing, just playing bass, keys, electronic percussion, and mixing.
  19. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I just started to sing basic backup in my band... I've never had vocal training, so I have a real hard time finding the harmony note. I am improving, but I really need some instruction.

My singer nicknamed me "Hey-Hey"...

Speaking of bad singing, my wife seduced me into watching American Idol last night. That show is brutal! I could barely watch!