Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

singing and playing at the same time...HOW DO YOU DO IT???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by darkenraja, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Okay, I really need to learn how to sing and play at the same time, I know its supposed to be difficult.....but are there any excersies people can give me to master it?

I try to do it all the time, but my voice and fingers just arent co-operating!~!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. What made it happen for me was learning to sight read while learning my neck at the same time. That builds your coordination to be able to attack two difficult concepts at the same time. It worked for me, I don't know about the others...but something about learning to sight/speed read made me a much better player in a lot of other regards. When you can get to the point of seeing like 2 or 3 measures ahead while still keeping focus on the current notes you are playing you'll notice a huge difference in your coordination with regards to ALL aspects of your playing.

3. *sigh*

Dude, this topic's been done to death lately. Click here and good luck.

4. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I read most of the posts on this and almost all of them bring up good points that you can learn from and some stumbling blocks that you will encounter.I think the post by JIVE1 is excellant, and you should copy that one and reread it from time to time.
    I have been a singing bass player since the stone age, and I believe that it is much harder than singing and playing the guitar.Read all of the posts.Start simple, alot of root-fifth things with bass on 1 and 3.Memorize reoccurring basslines for rock grooves and funk lines, and when in doubt, sing the line correctly and simplify the bassline.The fellow was right that people will notice a bad vocal long before they recognize a blown bassnote.
    Don't be too hard on yourself, this takes some time and you will make some mistakes.I have forgotten the words to songs that I have been doing for years, sometimes I make them up on the spot.You gotta do what ya gotta do.You will get better.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Practice