Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

singing AND playing.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Dec 4, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Anyone got any tips for learning to sing whilst playing? Its easy if the note changes line up. But most songs like that (an example would be "why do birds, suddenly appear, everytime, you are near"...e.t.c) suck. And other stuff (apart from hardcore/metal) seems impossible to sing whilst playing.

I know its all practice but are there any little tricks?

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The only trick I know is A LOT OF PRACTICE.
    At first try simple songs, then rise the level of dificulty, and with patience you´ll see that you´ll be able to sing and play songs you never imagine, at least that happened to me. It wasn´t in 3 weeks, but I asure you that in few months (if you practice) you will get it.
    Good luck

3. Get the bass line down cold, then get the vocal line down cold, then put them together and practice your butt off.

Works for me. :)

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Interesting snippet from Sting's "...all this time" concert DVD, when he tries to show Christian McBride a bass line to one of his songs he can't do it without singing. :) He says he has performed the songs so many times he can no longer play the bass lines without singing at the same time.