Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singing bass players= good band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Well duh I know this is subjective but look (this is only counting lead singers):

Pink Floyd
    Primus
    Blink 182
    Sonic Youth
    The Rentals
    NOFX
    Rush

There's definetly others but these are just the ones I thought of just now. We're just so talented!

2. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Don't forget Chicago... Between Peter Cetera and Jason Scheff they've had two of the most creative, technical, and SOLID singing bass players of any band I can think of in the past 30 years or so.

3. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Level42
    Police

4. The Beatles
    Thin Lizzy

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Cream
    Wings:D:

Will C.:cool:

6. Doh forgot Police and Beatles... DUH!!!

Oh well, I think we're on to something. Maybe I should sing in my band? Nah.

7. moe.

Rob Dehark is a good singer and great bass player

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    In answer to the thread question...NO!

Winger, anyone? :D

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Slayer
    Motorhead

10. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Not to discredit any of those guys, and I know there are names like Claypool on that list, but I generally find that you are either really good at your instrument, and if you try to do more then you are ok at both but not great at either. And I know that I would much rather be known as a good bassist.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    if Fieldy could sing...

12. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Now take Mark King with all the wicky wacky slappery AND he's a great singer at the same time......!!!

13. actually i am the singer and bass player in my band and i KNOW im great at both
    thats why my name is nickis thebest

14. Bass players are always in demand, but bass players who can sing get work coming out their ears! Try it, it's not rocket science.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I thought you wanted to change your name...:D

Will C.:cool:

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Marty - There's a ton of truth in my experience to back your statement up. I'm so glad I decided to join choir in grade school and start singing from there. On a college graduation gig, when I was 15, our lead singer didn't show up and I took over lead vocals. That and knowing the verses to the Shadows of Knight, "Gloria," were all it took to get started.

I'd rather play bass exclusively, but just the ability to come in on choruses and sing backup has opened so many doors. People needing a bassist are like, "...and you play bass, TOO?!?!"

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe that's why none of my bands went all the way;) The musicianship was always good, the songwriting wasn't so bad, but the fact that the bass player had such a terrible voice...hmmm...WAIT!!! I WAS THE BASSPLAYER:eek:

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

:D :D :D Maybe having a Fafner "singing" behind you makes you forget all about your own voice, RAM.

19. Wow thePaste, im happy to see the rentals up there I didnt think there was another fan of thiers in this world left besides me.

Im not really a fan but ill add another one to the list-Fastball, is that a good or a bad thing u tell me?

20. -Primus
    -Slayer
    -Biohazard
    -Type O Negative
    -Morbid Angel
    -Skinlab