Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

singing bassists

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RideTheFretboard, May 1, 2001.

1. How many of you guys sing for your band? I mean main vocals, not like back up or anything. Cos I've just inherited this slightly daunting task and whilst i can sing (at least better than our guitarist), i need tips on playing and singing at once. If it helps we play post-stoner/hardcore (Queens of the stone age-esque)

2. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I don't sing lead in my main band but I have done before. If u have never attempted it live before, you should try and practice as much as possible. It takes a lot of co-ordination to play and sing simultaneously and I found it very hard. Just practice it I suppose.

3. Practice is the main answer you're gonna get here (and I speak from experience). So just sit down and keep playing and singing and you'll get it.

4. WintryGrey

WintryGrey

Sep 12, 2000
    i sing and play bass but some songs i just cant do it :(

pratice makes perfect i guess

5. I agree with everyone else here, too. Nothing'll do you as much good as just practicing it.
    For The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes we were told that we're meant to sing all the songs that the chorus sing, as well. So, I went home and tried to sing & play all the songs that the chorus sings, and found I couldn't do it. A couple days later and after LOTS of practicing I got most of the songs down. :D
    Now I just need to work on walking and playing my bass solo-esque piece when our band is called down for a curtain call while singing The Happy Ending Song. And yes, that really is the title of the song. :D:p

6. Ok cheers for all that.
    I think I'm gonna have to simplify bass lines when we write new stuff - but our songs at the moment are pretty simple. Almost pure root notes! I realise that whilst i enjoy bass - the vocals are far more important and must take priority. Even if they do suck ;)

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I've done it on easy bass tunes. I screw up one or that other when I actually have to play.

8. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    So why is it easy for guitarist's to sing and play?

9. I would say the key is to practice - but make sure you practice playing AND singing. The more that you practice playing a tune without singing it, the harder it will be to do both parts in the end. Also, I find it easy to simplify bass lines when I am singing lead, you can always add more to your part on a recorded version. But playing an easier part live allows you to concentrate on singing, and more importantly - the crowd. The front man has to entertain the crowd - noone wants to see a guy staring down at the neck of his bass.

10. probably becuse guitarists just play chords that dont change as much as the bassline changes

i would have to say the more you play the same song over and over the better you get at playing it and sooner or later you can sing it too

i must have played rancid's "time bomb" 2 million times before i could sing and play it

11. oarsman

oarsman

May 11, 2001
    A) Select the simplest of tunes that are in your range, don't go into your head voice, it takes too much concentration away from the fret board...
    B) Learn the words...
    C) Learn the tune...
    D) Learn the line
    E) As advised before never play/practice the line unless you're humming or singing
    F) hum and play the line (if you have to go into your head voice you'll see what I mean because it takes too much air up there..
    At some later point) Add the words and practice practice practice...If that don't work hard work overcomes all! If that still doesn't work fire your guitarist that can't sing and find another...they're a dime a dozen anyway.

12. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    An old accordion player told me " you listen to the bass side with your left ear and the melody with your right!" Sounds silly but i think he meant " divide and conquer"

13. Beelzebob

Beelzebob Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Hooksett, NH
    Learn the words of the song by heart so you don't have to think about it.

Learn the bassline by heart so you don't have to
    think about it.

Then put them together. I still have a ****eload of trouble on syncopated songs. Also, we bassists often play counter melodies to the vocals, therefore, it's hard to listen to ourselves play and sing at the same time. Listen more to the guitar and stay in tune with it.