Singing bassists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FaultLine423, Dec 29, 2000.

1. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    Who in here is a lead singing bassist? Just wondering. I'm not one, although I can sing worth half a damn, I don't because my voice is not good enough to carry a band.
  2. I am. In my new band I share singing lead with the guitarist.
  3. PunkSpeed

Dec 27, 2000
    I have been in my band "Black tie and the corporate bastard's" for about a year and a half. Just recently though have I began singing. A few songs i sing the chorus, and on almost all now I do the back up vocals.
    It is a little hard at first but you learn.
  4. This was a thread once before, just wait till u start getting the "i was forced to sing cause the guitarist wanted to "wank off" with solos the whole song" posts.

Anyways, i don't sing in my band, In my brothers band i tend to do it occasionally. I sing alot though, properly along to a cd, get used to hitting the right notes etc.

Singing is good, teaches one to use their "body as an instrument"(read that somewhere, and just kept thinking of burping and farting :p)Also teaches one to get used to being up front in front of alot of ppl.

5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I sung at first, just backing vocals and the like, but after a few weeks my mike went mysteriously missing, and I haven't sung since. I wonder what happened to it...
  6. I cant sing when i play.. i get all discombobulated :) I cant even talk for that matter.. For some reason.. i cant say a word while i play. Anyone else this way?
  7. i sing and play in my pop-punk-ska band, its fun. When i have to do a more complicated bass part the guitar part is usually a lot easier so when i cant sing and play the guitar player does it. its not so bad. but i just kind of got thrown into it because we had a gig, but didnt have a singer, so i did it, i did just fine, you get used to playing and singing. so it works out.

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    LizardKing45, I'm with you. I find it really hard to talk while I play, but I did learn to sing and play. I sing mostly back up now, but used to sing lead on about 1/3 of the songs in a band I used to play in. It took me forever to figure out how to sing and play, but I think I've got it now. It is much easier for me to play guitar and sing, however.
  9. BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001

I sometimes play and sing, leading worship service in can be fun and challenging at times.

Make a Joyful noise! BJ
  10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I spent many years in touring Top-40 rock bands where you were required to sing at least a few tunes, or you didn't get the gig. Now it's like second nature, although I find it much easier to sing a part that's as far removed in range from my bass line as possible. Makes it easier to seperate them in your brain somehow. This is definitely a skill that's acquired....