1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Singing bassists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FaultLine423, Dec 29, 2000.

1. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    Who in here is a lead singing bassist? Just wondering. I'm not one, although I can sing worth half a damn, I don't because my voice is not good enough to carry a band.

2. I am. In my new band I share singing lead with the guitarist.

3. PunkSpeed

PunkSpeed

Dec 27, 2000
    I have been in my band "Black tie and the corporate bastard's" for about a year and a half. Just recently though have I began singing. A few songs i sing the chorus, and on almost all now I do the back up vocals.
    It is a little hard at first but you learn.

4. This was a thread once before, just wait till u start getting the "i was forced to sing cause the guitarist wanted to "wank off" with solos the whole song" posts.

Anyways, i don't sing in my band, In my brothers band i tend to do it occasionally. I sing alot though, properly along to a cd, get used to hitting the right notes etc.

Singing is good, teaches one to use their "body as an instrument"(read that somewhere, and just kept thinking of burping and farting :p)Also teaches one to get used to being up front in front of alot of ppl.

Merls.

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I sung at first, just backing vocals and the like, but after a few weeks my mike went mysteriously missing, and I haven't sung since. I wonder what happened to it...

6. I cant sing when i play.. i get all discombobulated :) I cant even talk for that matter.. For some reason.. i cant say a word while i play. Anyone else this way?

7. i sing and play in my pop-punk-ska band, its fun. When i have to do a more complicated bass part the guitar part is usually a lot easier so when i cant sing and play the guitar player does it. its not so bad. but i just kind of got thrown into it because we had a gig, but didnt have a singer, so i did it, i did just fine, you get used to playing and singing. so it works out.

Chris

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    LizardKing45, I'm with you. I find it really hard to talk while I play, but I did learn to sing and play. I sing mostly back up now, but used to sing lead on about 1/3 of the songs in a band I used to play in. It took me forever to figure out how to sing and play, but I think I've got it now. It is much easier for me to play guitar and sing, however.

9. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001

I sometimes play and sing, leading worship service in church....it can be fun and challenging at times.

Make a Joyful noise! BJ

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I spent many years in touring Top-40 rock bands where you were required to sing at least a few tunes, or you didn't get the gig. Now it's like second nature, although I find it much easier to sing a part that's as far removed in range from my bass line as possible. Makes it easier to seperate them in your brain somehow. This is definitely a skill that's acquired....