Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singing Equipment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blink182FanMatt, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Blink182FanMatt

Blink182FanMatt

Nov 6, 2003
    hey, I wanna get some mics, mic cables, monitors, and like possibly a mixer. Is there a site online somewhere that's pretty good for being pretty cheap?

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For cables, I suggest making your own. You can make a quality cable for a fraction of the cost of a manufactured cable. If you buy 4 mic cables, it will set you back $80-$120. Add the cost of 2 speaker cables, and you've easily spent $200 on cables alone. With a little soldering and $100 you can get enough material for plenty of mic, instrument, and speaker cables and spares. I recommend www.partsexpress.com

For Mixers, you can check out zzounds.com or musician's fraud. You can get a decent Behringer mixer for around $75-$200 depending on your needs. Of course, going used is a great idea too.

Parts express also sells a good, gig quality 12" floor monitor for a good price (I think $150 or so). Musicyo.com also has some monitors cheap too, but I can't vouch for the sound.

For Mics, I recommend getting new ones for hygiene purposes. VictorLitz.com has decent prices for Shure mics. You can always find cheapies on zzSounds or Musician's fraud. Behringer makes a decent cheapie (make sure you check the specs), and EV's Cobalt series mics are an outstanding value if you can find em. They don't make em anymore, but retailers are blowing out their stock for great prices.