Singing Fretless Suggestion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spectorphile, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    For the last couple of months I have been on a mad search for a cheap, but REALLY singing fretless. I play various types of fusion (isn't that what everything is these days :confused: ) and I'd like spend $600 all up, of course if there's something out there for less... :) Playability is also of paramount importance, i use and love TI flats at the moment. Feel free to suggest p'up and amp combinations as well, thanks.
  2. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
  3. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    BTW I should also mention i'm not interested in neckthroughs, or anything other than a 4 string.
  4. Used Carvins go for 5 & 6 bills fairly often- keep your eye on ebay. I have a fretless Rebop 5- great mwah, but I'm really wanting a Hexabuzz. If I can work something out I'll gladly sell the Rebop.
  5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    used or new carvin (B4F) plain old 4 banger bolt on fretlessthats comes passive, active or passive/active. seeing as you're a Spectorphile you can always try a Spector was super comfortable but the one i played didn't have, much sing or mwah, I guess it could have been dead strings tho.
  6. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Yeah ive had a look at the Carvin B4s and Spector Cores but I'm not too impressed with either... The carvins seem overpriced for what they are and the spector cores didnt seem to have an overly impressive tone.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A Carvin B4F can be had with an ebony fretboard for under $600 before shipping with a case. Add black hardware like I did and it comes to like $612.

Anyway, I don't think you're going to get much mwah with TI flats like you prefer. Have you tried D'Addario Chromes?
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    corvette? Give Carvin another try :p
  9. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Funny you guys should mention these, I've been looking at Budget yamahas namely the bb404f and rockbass corvettes, but have yet to try DS chromes.
  10. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I played a 4 string Corvette fretless today for the first time, and I have to say that it was an incredible bass. I wasn't impressed with the 5 string Warwick's because of the string spacing, but the 4 was just perfect.

As far as the DR Chromes, well, I've got a set on my fretted Yamaha BB G5, and I absolutely love them, plus they're much easier on my fretboard than the stainless Rotosounds were.
  11. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What about the Spectorcore? I think they run around $600, never heard one though. Do they "sing"?
  13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had one of those too, and it was great. I think it was an RBX200, or something like that.

I also have a Carvin bolt on, and it really sings. I think the ebony board helps. And it is probably the only fretless you'll find in your range with an ebony board.

I would recommend either Yamaha or Carvin in your price range.
  14. Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Actually back when i was school we had a cort, i was amazed with virtually every aspect of it, especially as time went on and it really started to take a beating. Of course cheap basses are hit and miss most of the time, but i've come to think pretty highly of cort.
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I found the budget Gary Willis GWB35 to be a surprisingly great instrument for the money. Slick feeling Ebonal fingerboard with mwah for days, ramp, and his custom tuning keys, all right at your pricepoint.

The only negatives I can think of is the tight string spacing (16.5 mm, if I'm not mistaken) and only having a bridge pickup. However, had I not purchased a bass specifically for defretting before this was released, it would have been absolutely my next purchase.
  16. I am going to put my neck on the chopping block here and suggest that you check out the Cort Curbow basses. I recently purchased a Cort Curbow 4-string fretless and it has fast become my absolute favorite guitar; however I am small and have small hands. :)
  17. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Both Yamaha and Cort would be good choices. I would personally recommend Cort B4 Fretless.
  18. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    The Rockbass Corvette Classic in a fretless bass looks and plays awesome. The fretboard is macassar tiger eye ebony, which matches the tobacco sunburst flame top very well. You should definitely check one out.
  19. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Here's a pic of Cort B4

now they have bartolini MK1 pickup and preamp instead of former mighty mites. I suggest considering these seriously.