Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singing Harmony

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by relman, Apr 30, 2002.

1. alright...i do the vox in my new band, and there is a couple tunes where our guitarist thought of some crazed out harmonies...the thing is, i've never sung harmony. Now I know it's either a third or sixth above/below the note, but can anyone recommend any methods/excersizes????

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    inversions are good, eg If the lead sings a C you can sing an E above (third) or a G below(fifth) also if youve a good falsetto range it sometimes works to sing the octave up falsetto.

The best harmony lines are ones which cross each other, generally singing in thirds sounds very 'blocky' and not very interesting...listen to the Beach boys (VERY intricate harmonies), Queen (good interesting harmonies and very easy to pick out), everly brothers/simon and garfunkle (good two part harmony singing).

like most things let your ear be your guide if it sounds good then generally it is good.

3. Harmonies don't always have to be in thirds, or fifths try out other possiblities to. And that part Murf says about creating a counter melody is very effective.

Edit:
    If you use computer based recording:
    Since I write all music in Logic Audio, I usually write (or record) the melody as a saxophone-track and then try to write a harmony (or two) that sounds good with the melody, mute the melody and then sing along with the written harmony.
    (maybe this is cheating;))

4. Since the melody rarely sticks to one inversion of the chord, the harmony won't either.

If you have a good ear for that kind of thing, you can often times pick out a harmony line by trial and error but I would recommend learning some theory. That way you'll know whether your in key or not. It's also pretty much mandatory if you want to get into three part hamonies, counter melodies/ harmonies, etc.