Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singing nice lines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 26, 2002.

1. I can sing really nice bass lines that fit with just about anything. Jazz, Punk, Funk, anything, and they fit and sound nice when i sing them. I just can't seem to play them. It's not a technique problem; I simply can't find the right notes. Should I just buy a kazoo and play that instead?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sing first note, find the note on the bass, sing next note, find next note, etc...

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    By the way, is that you singing on your website?

4. thanks for the advice. It's not me singing. I actually ditched that band for another one for fairly obvious reasons, probably should take out that link.

5. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    or... sing the note into a tuner, and it will give you the name of the note, then u play it on the bass. i'm such a cheater =)

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ear training is the key.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Singing is ear training, no? Not the full bit, of course, but it's certainly a big factor.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

I do the same thing. Looks like Im a cheater too. :D

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Singing is only ear training if:

1) You know which notes you're singing.

2) You get the pitches and the intervals right!;)

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I was assuming he was singing along to something in pitch. If you can sing it, you can reproduce it note by note on your bass, which begins to get the person used to finding intervals, hearing waves, and eventually to be able to sing (and thus hear) intervals, harmonys, chords, etc etc. It's definitely not the end-all be-all of ear training, but it's a start.