1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singing & Playing at the Same Time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Mar 10, 2008.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I've never possessed this skill and just want to know what are some tips or tricks for keeping things flowing on the bass while your singing? I've been practicing it for a while and most of the time it's so bad that both playing and singing suffer horribly (not that either are that great to begin with LOL). I'm either off-key, forgetting words, forgetting notes/rests, or I'll just drop out of playing bass completely and not realize it for a few bars.

Help please?

:help:

2. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    This was gone over pretty well a short time ago.My advice is practice,practice,practice.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I searched and got random mixed results...any help with which thread?

And it's been about 4+ years of weekly practice with almost ZERO progress, so I'm pretty much beyond that point I think. When I was teaching myself how to play bass, progress was slow until I was shown a few tips from experienced players so I'm wondering if singing/playing is gonna be the same.

4. Start with backup vocals.

Something where the pressure isn't on you.

Work it from there.

5. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    best thing for me was this:

1. learn the bass line cold
    2. when you are practicing it, turn the bass down so you can barely hear it and sing LOUD (or through a mic/PA). Only when you can hear yourself sing can you tell when you hit the vocal clams (whether it's pitch or phrasing). also, in order to phrase correctly, you have to sing like you mean it, so that's another reason to sing LOUD (i.e., confidently). pretend that you are singing for a spot on american idol. try and really nail the vocal part convincingly.

6. Hmm... I sang all of the backing / harmonies and a few lead vocals while playing.

The bass line has to be second nature, so the vocals can have enough of your attention. Then again, someone who is primarily a singer, may tell you the opposite.

:confused: