Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

singing problems?!?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kearney, Apr 2, 2005.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    does anyone else here have a problem with singing? i feel embarassed to sing, if im at home playing along to a cd, ill only sing when theyres no one in the house (afterschool or maybe a sunday) , and i have to mix my vocals in at the same level as my bass, i cant stand to hear myself. its not like i cant sing or anything, i can imitate ben gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service pretty well, but i have problems singing for people or even for the band or even submitting lyrics, if i ever have to go onstage and sing (when the band is good enough to play shows,) i plan on wearing sunglasses so no one can see me, HELP!

2. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    dont worry about it, just practice practice practice until you feel even semi-confident enough to show some1, you should be close enough to your bandmates to at least let them listen. i have the opposite problem, i love to sing and wish i could be a lead singer/bassist, but i have a huge problem playing fingerstyle bass parts that arent whole notes while singing, as my bands parts tend to be. also, i suck at singing, and that doesnt help much either.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Hey, I have that disease too. They need a pill for it.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Sunglasses don't make you invisible. People will still see you. ;)

Anyway, here's some helpful things

Depending on the stage, if the lights are shining directly on you, it makes it hard to see the audience.

Another thing is to look above the audience, or an object within the audience. You may find it easier to sing to a table or glass than a person.

Record yourself singing. One of the problems with singing is that you can't blame the instrument for a bad sound. It's you, and singing and criticism of singing can hit personally. Don't let it, and keep on going. Give yourself an honest evaluation and then practice. Being confident that you can sing on pitch, will make you less nervous and self conscious. If you don't like hearing yourself singing, it's time to practice. Turning up the bass to mask your vocals isn't gonna help. You need to get used to hearing your voice and using your chest,throat,mouth, etc. to manipulate it.

Of course, practice. Nervousness is a function of preparedness. If you're prepared, you're less nervous.

Most of all, get over yourself. Seriously, nobody is paying attention to you as much as you are. Even though singers tend to be the focus of attention, you'll find that you are paying attention to yourself the most. When you pay too much attention to yourself, you become self conscious, which leads to doubt or pompousness. Focus on the music and how your voice fits into the big picture.

I've been where you are, but not anymore. I tend to comment alot about singing on this forum because singing didn't come natural to me. But because of that, I am more aware of what I had to do to be more proficient. Singing is/was difficult, and a challenge to my self esteem. But, I was able to overcome it and I can at least sing in tune and get a compliment here and there.

Good luck

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Here's your pill:

Sing along to a song and tap a beat using your fingers on whatever's handy. Alternate between index and middle in the same way you play a bass. Do that enough, and you'll find that the finger picking will become automatic. Then you can sing and not lose the groove.

It's not the only way to do it, but it did help me.

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Cool. I've been working at it more and more. I actually use to sing and play bass for a worship group at my church, but my playing was somewhat limited. No one really noticed though. My singing isn't great but I can carry a tune and no one else could so that's how I got elected.

To the original poster, like others have said, practice.

7. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    yeah, im pretty much the singer cuz im the only one that even bothers to try writing, and i can sing ok i guess, i just dont like it :bag: , or :cool: or :ninja:

8. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    thats a great idea, mucho thnx

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That way is why I can sing and play to many songs now. I also found that it helped to mock the fretting motion of my left hand as well.

10. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Well, at my first ever gig, while the guitarist was changing from an electric to an acoustic, I sang "Pea", by RHCP, just me and my bass. I'm a pretty awful singer, and can't stay in key very well, but I did it anyway. The beginning of the song was fairly OK, but it was all downhill from there. Sure, it sucked, but hey, I'm alive to tell the tale, and I haven't lost any friends because of it. :)