Singing troubles.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Feb 9, 2006.

1. I wasn't sure if I should put this in here or OT, but it goes along with while I play so I put it here.

The problem...I've been having trouble singing. Now I know most people can sing low and train to sing higher and higher in time. For me it is the exact opposite. I can sing incredibly high, have a great strong constant falsetto, but can't for the life of me even try and sing in a normal range, such as an octave below. This really restricts me to harmonies and originals, as noone wants to hear covers like that, my girlfriend was surprised I could sing that much higher than her, but she likes it? Ha.

The possible cause...I have sang in several crust punk bands in the past, such as GG Allin-esque. This was before I had any singing training, and I would constantly push the words out as hard and loud as I could, losing my voice every show (only about a dozen total or so). As well, the past summer I had a bad case of mono which took a pretty bad tole on my throat, I suspect it damaged it.

I also find that singing low on the notes I can sing, I lose air very quickly, such as within a few words and unable to finish a line. I am not a smoker, or fat. I have dramatically decreased to forcing of the notes and have relaxed, letting them come naturally, it just doesn't work as well as I have been expecting.

Do any of you have any advice to me? If so, thanks in advance, if not, thank you for reading.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    just sing along with everything you listen to

play your scales low, and sing along.
  3. Solfeggio. Practice it. I'm having to do it for my Musicianship classes, it does wonders.
  4. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    It sounds like you should take a few voice lessons. You'd be amazed how quick some people can improve with proper training.
  5. Thanks I've been trying the Solfeggio and looking into a few lessons.
  6. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    What is solfeggio I've never heard of it. My problem is the exact opposite I can sing quite low. Probably lower than your average person. But cant get anway high without falsetto and I have such a bassy overtone in my voice that falsetto sounds stupid when I do it. I'd be happy if I could sing high enough to do decent harmonies and thus increase my usefulness as a bassist.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've found that solfeggio can really break up the mucus, too!
  8. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    That's not a problem, it's a gift. Obviously it's not what you want, but it's fairly rare for male singers to have a voice like you do.

Go form a barbershop quartet. Now.

9. Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    Also think about picking up "Singing for Dummies"...has a cd you can take with you everwhere to practice scales, technique and other vocal exercises.