1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

singing, want truthful opinions, i can take it

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bommer, Nov 11, 2010.

1. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    View attachment these colours dont run.mp3

thats is a raw clip(no editing done, except i used 2 tracks cause i flubbed the second part on the first run) of me singing a few parts of the song "these colours dont run" by iron maiden.
    (actual song here - )

i want all opinions, and help, i can get.

any feedback appreciated(good or bad). thanks!

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    the biggest flaw in any singer is a lack of confidence.
    you sound uncomfortable almost.
    the thing about singing, especially in a rock band, you have to sell the show.
    once you practice more, the confidence will come, and with that your overall skill will improve too.

my .02

3. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    alright, ill take note of that.
    mabye i should practise when i have my family home, so i know they're listening.
    cause when i usually do try sining, i make sure no one is home, so im constantly making sure no one i walkin in the front door/garage.

4. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My thoughts:

You have the high tenor voice, but you're not really using it. The recording sounds like you're trying to sing without waking up the neighbors. It sounds timid.

If anything, Bruce Dickinson sings from the balls, so to speak. Sing like you mean it. Put your whole body into the effort. Imagine you're trying to project your voice so that people across the street can hear you - a lot of the energy comes from the volume. Sing loud.

In other words, your singing did not sell the song - you know what I mean? I can't sing very well at all - but on the rare occasion that I have to for my band - I let it all hang out. Like Gordoh mentioned, it really is about confidence.

Best of luck!!!

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    +1 to what the other guys said. The real trick to singing is pitch. Some people just can't carry a tune. You don't seem to suffer from that affliction, so I'd say you have potential vocally.

What's your sweet spot? I can sing the hell out of anything in G and or C myself, but D just isn't my key. Play to your strengths.

Sing within your range (The sample does seem like you're singing a little low for your voice).

Sing with power! Don't be timid. There's a difference between dynamics and shying away from the mic.

All in all, I don't think you suck. I would not, however hire you for a vocalist position based solely on the sample.

6. it sounds good to me, maybe the song ask for a more screaming/energic voice

7. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    alright, thanks guys for the input.
    ill try the "balls out" approach and see how that goes.

as for singing in a specific key, how would i know what key is good for me to sing in?

(also, just as a side note, and my own amusement, i can do growls, like cannibal corpse really well.)

8. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    practice.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Are you ashamed? Embarassed? If so then just give up. If someone walks in, they should be impressed. Don't WORRY about how you sound, LOVE the way you sound.

10. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    A few things i noticed, Try to sing more gathered (as if you pushed your cheeks together), and sing with your soft pallet and let your breath flow do the work (soft pallet is that thing at the upper back portion of your mouth that gos up when you yawn) Also try working with your tongue a bit to get a richer tone. I tend to keep the tip against the top of my bottom teeth.

One thing to keep in mind for singing, is sing sounds not words.

:edit also posture and proper breathing are important.

11. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    MOses, im neither ashamed nor embarassed, its just id like to know if im technically good

and funk, ill try that tongue technique as well. the breathing i will try and work on, and the soft palette thing...well.....ill have to google that one cause i dont get that part lol.

12. You're brave, man and I applaud you for putting yourself out there like that. The key to getting better is wanting to get better enough to do what it takes, and being honest with yourself / smart enough to realize what it takes.

In singing, as in all performance, what the audience wants is to see that you really mean it.

13. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Certainly I'm not trying to put you down! You did put this on the interwebz, after all! I was referring to this though:

You should be able to sing at full balls-out anytime, anywhere, in front of anyone.

14. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    My initial thought is that this clip is totally out of context. I agree it sounds a bit timid, but reletively in tune and certainly full of potential.

The questions I have are are you going to be playing while you are singing? Is this a tune you'll be performing live? What kind of venue will you be performing this in, a gig, school, party, garage?

I sing 1000% differently alone in a room acapela than I do amplified in front of a audience in a crowded bar while I'm thumping out a bass line. It has everything to do with the setting, mood, vibe from the band and crowd, stage volume, mix, monitors...so many factors there that you can't really compare singing the way you've presented with any kind of actual performance. You might find yourself really barking it out when you have the band busting out behind you, especially playing Maiden!

15. Dude to be honest it sounds like youre talking

16. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I would say that, outside of simply acting as a sounding board, a bass forum perhaps isn't the best place to ask for advice on singing.

I recently got a gig in a rock covers band where I have to sing backing vox (as the only backing vocalist). I used to sing lead vocals in one band years ago but wrecked my voice through years of inadequate PA systems causing me to almost scream into the mic (no it wasn't a screamo band). I hadn't sung in public for years until I auditioned for my current band and I was much more nervous about my singing than my bass playing.

So a couple of weeks before the audition I googled stuff about singing, especially warm up exercises. There's a heap of stuff out there that will make you look stupid but I found really work to help your breathing and supporting a strong tone. A couple of weeks of this really helped my pitch, tone and power.

Most of all warm your voice up

17. juriscon

juriscon

May 22, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
  18. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I have serious issues with people using software for singing.

Edit: More on topic, with some proper singing technique you should be fine :)

19. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    when its in the song, i honestly think i sound worse...oh well. lol.
    but thanks for the input everyone, i appreciate your comments and your techniques on improvement. they will help me sing better and be more confident to try as a singer.

juriscon, if you dont mind me asking, how did you isolate the vocal track out of that song, id like to do that to more songs.

20. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    :) its a slow process, just like learning to play bass. Youll get it, just keep up with practice, and get formal lessons if possible.