Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

singing whilst playing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tommo, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Ive tried singing and playing at the same time but I cant do it, I will sing out of tune or play crap, can anyone give me some advice. I think this would be a useful thing to learn, because i will need to do chorus' and fills.

Thanx a lot
    :eek:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Practise (and experience) are your best teachers. Try to start with something simple, where you can both play the bassline and sing the part with ease; don't start by trying to copy Sting or Geddy (cos if you could, at this stage, you probably wouldn't be asking this question)!

Wulf

3. nice one.
    I think i have started with to complicated bass lines.
    I'll try something more simple!:cool:

4. Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice

Then Practice some more.

Learn the bass line / rhythm of the tune cold without singing, so you can play it in your sleep. It should be automatic. Then try singing the parts that are simple and in rhythm (not syncopated). When you are really comfortable with this, then try singing parts where the vocals and the bass line are somewhat syncopated - that's really a challenge!!

Then Practice some more.:D

5. I knew it would come down to practice! I'll still try though!:D Thanx:cool:

6. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    yeah practice until the bass line becomes almost second nature.
    or practice the vocals until they become second nature.
    or both.
    then you can do it well and maybe throw in improv bass stuff also cuz you will be able to concentrate on it more.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

One trick is to practise the bass line with your
    eyes closed.
    If you can do this, you can sing into a mike
    looking forward, which is similar, you are not LOOKING at the bass per se. You are playing it by feel, rote, autopilot. That's when you can layer the singing on top.
    ---------

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah practicing with your eyes closed or with all the lights off is great for getting a feel for the bass and the fretboard....its also great practice if you are planning on getting a fretless.

9. I'm trying to do backups and play at the same time. What I'm trying is to break down the bass lines and figure out what I'm doing at key parts. What am I singing when I change chords? When do I syncopate? Then I play the bassline REAL slow and try singing the part. Quite often I'll practice playing just whole notes and singing...even that's tricky for me.

10. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    yeah thats basically what i do when i sing back up for my brother's band on occasion (their bassist sucks so i fill in for him most of the time). i play whole notes and stuff while singing backup.
    cuz most of their stuff isnt too heavy anyway so its ok to have a nice slow bass line
    but if you do something like punk or metal i dunno how i would go about singing whilst playing...
    probably just get the feel of where all the frets are so you can play the bass line without concentrating and stuff...
    of course that has already been said several times now so now im just being repetitive so ill shut up.