Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Singing

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Terry, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Terry

Terry

Apr 19, 2004
    Hi Michael, I'm back w/ another one of my puzzles. I frequently read about singing what your practicing. And I really need the ear training. Question!
    What do you sing. The bass has a greater range then my off key voice. Do you doe, ray , me, or da, da da, sing the notes A, Ab, etc.? The range issue really has me stumped :confused:
    Thanks in advance
    Terry C

2. Maybe sing an octave lower? Or sing in your head voice rather than your full voice, if possible?

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I sing what I am playing in some unintelligeble syllabic nonsense. I don't worry whether or not I am totally on pitch or even the range that I am singing in - I might be an octave up or down. It is for the development of the intervalic relationships, for the connecting of the voice to the hands, from the mind to the bass, from the soul to the music

Mike

4. Terry

Terry

Apr 19, 2004
    Thanks Michael, you did it again. The curtain of confusion has been lifted :D
    Terry C