Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basserman44, Jul 3, 2001.

1. i wanna learn how to sing. i can sing and play bass at the same time fine, but the singing needs some work. are there any books or anything that could help me?lessons? throw me all u got, cause i would love to be able to sing.(it doesnt have to be beautiful b/c i play punk. i just want to be able to cary a descent tune).

2. if you want to sing like Iron Maiden, then it's easy..

Just grab a big rubber band, and tie it real tight around your uhm " cajun beans ".. that should do the trick :D
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Can you hit the notes along with CD's? No sharps/flats where they're not supposed to be? (In other words, you have a good ear for pitch?) Does your speaking voice sound good?

If so, you may have a voice worth putting out there. Since you're in your teens, is there a choir or other organized singing group you can join at your school? If so, join it/them.

No, you won't be singing anything burning up the charts at the moment, but a teacher/leader formally educated in voice is a big help. At the very least, they'll help you with a problem that occurs with many untrained voices - they slide notes from one to the next in order to land on the proper pitch. A lot of the older country artists do this, but for them, it was what helped make them.

A good singing voice is a remarkable gift, since you can't just simply put a finger on a fret or a key and know what to expect. For that reason, I encourage formal instruction unless you are just a natural born singer. They're not all that uncommon. The woman who sings lead in one of my bands never took a lesson in her life but she is always dead on the correct notes and meter and was blessed with a very full, gutsy, voice.
  4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm trying to work on my singing too. I can sing and play my bass at the same time with some songs, mostly easy ones that don't require much thought with the bassline. The irony of my situation is that I picked up bass because I could sing, but I needed something else to get into most bands. Now I just use it as a combo deal ;) .