1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singing...

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by fLaT-fIfTh, Aug 30, 2008.

1. fLaT-fIfTh

fLaT-fIfTh

Dec 20, 2004
    Producer: GospelChops Inc.
    Wassup Janek?

I noticed on one of your Youtube vids that you sing while playing. I've heard that this is helpful in the learning process. Can you comment on this? Do you only sing while soloing? or do you sing low end grooves as well?

Thanks

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    well I think that singing along with what I'm playing does several things for the music. Number one, as stringed instrument players we can play lines forever without ever taking a breath, so actually singing along with what your playing especially when you're soloing, will make you pause for breath and therefor naturally break up your phrasing into more melodic and musical statements.

It also helps me stay away from playing too many things over and over again, or from playing things that don't make sense musically. I'm generally hearing the ideas before I"m playing them, and to me the voice gives a certain pure quality to the sound that doesn't come naturally from an electric instrument.

I'm a terrible singer so I really don't tend to amplify it ever, it's more for me on the stage to keep a nice balance of phrasing and tone while I'm playing.

Easy,

Janek

3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I don't know Janek, I quite liked the acoustic stuff you had on myspace a while back.