Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single 12 cab at 4ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Oct 18, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    What's a good single 12 cab that's available in a 4 ohm version?

I'm looking for something to pair up with my tfunk for home use.

I'd like a Bergie ht112 but it's not available in 4 and since the HT series are known for being power hungry, I don't think 200w will be enough to feed it.(Did anyone try a bergantino single 12 with a tfunk???)

What do you reccomend?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are just talking for home use, then I think that you would be quite happy driving a single HT112 with the Thunderfunk. In fact, I bet it would sound pretty good. If you were to start gigging in a fully amplified band, then I might suggest a second Berg (EX112 or HT112).

But, a great option for a 4 ohm 1x12 is the EA Wizzy. Truly an impressive cab, in my book. It it one of the more colored cabs from EA, but this is intentional. It has a bit of a hump in the upper mids, and the net result is a somewhat full/warm tone, but still retaining great clarity. If you scroll down the posts on my blog, I did a Mini Cab Combo Shootout that included two Bergs and two Wizzy's.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Avatar 112s are available in 8 or 4 ohms.

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    fwiw;i have a gibson gb 440 amp,it's the predecessor of the t-funks;i use this with a dr.bass bl 1260 cab 12"-6"-horn 4 ohm 500 watts,i can't comment on other set ups that i read about here because i've never herd them(canada)i play out 2-3 times month ,but all & all look into the dr.bass it was well worth it for me.

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a single Bergie HT112 with an Eden 550. Sounds fantastic.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    schroeder mini 12+. 4 or 8 ohms. rated as 500w rms. Loud as hell. Not power hungry at all. Deep. Warm. Light (28lbs). great customer service.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    If you have the filthy lucre, go with a Berg HT112. It is a killer cab.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Schroeder or Bergie.

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Hello - Schroeder Mini-12+

10. I love my mini12 !!

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The completely fill a house with bass and only weigh 26 pounds.

12. Haven't played the Schroeder mini's, but the 1210 and 1212 are about the same size and just a little heavier than a typical non-neo 112 and are 4ohms. With a TF, you could do all but the largest, loudest gigs with one of those, and the matchup sounds great! I you know for sure it will only be for home use, the mini's would probably be awesome... but the 1210 or 1212 would give you the option to use that rig on most gigs without a second cab.

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    100% :bassist:

14. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Do any of you HT-112 owners think that the HT112/EX112 is lacking in the lows department...I'm also looking for some portable cabs, but being a kind of supportive player, I need cabs that can get me some lows....I know the Bergs are middy compared to others, but can they get the low end with a little EQ?

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that the HT112 is pretty good in the lows. They are certainly tight and well balanced, and about as loud as you could reasonably expect in an enclosure of its size. Yes, my T-112 has a stronger low end, but it's also a good bit larger.

Tom.

16. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Schroeder.