1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single 12" that has real bottom ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, May 3, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    Folks
    i have a yorkie XS400 Head and a backline 210 that I love [don't care what anyone says:bag: .... its a great little cab]
    and want to sell my Avatar 15 [its the really small 'cube' and doesn't have a blossom at the bottom] and get instead a well-designed Single 12" for the bottom.

Suggestions? I figure the budget is up to $500, and I typically buy used if I can find the right item [do a lotta horse-trading on Ebay]

thx
    z

2. You know, I could always get good low B response out of a single Aguilar GS112, but that seems to have gone out of fashion.

3. i don't know about super massive bottom end, but my ashdown mini10T had good low end, i would suppose that an ashdown 12 would have some good bottom to it...

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I heard the new Epi Performance Series PS112 at NAMM this year and it has a great low end, more so than the Epi UL112 and it's $399.00, 8 ohms, 300 watts, 38 lbs. Should be available this month.

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Let's see 12s with great bottom end for under $500.

Aguilar GS112 - Has a lot of low end extension. A pair of them is a force to be rreckoned with. A single GS112 could lack volume if you have loud guitarists or drummers.

Epifani PS112 - Nice punch for a 12, has good low end extension, but the GS112 seems to have a tad bit more. On the other hand, the PS112 cuts through a little better in band situations.

Schroeder Mini 12 - A different sounding 12, but real light.

6. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm also in the market for a single 12" cab and was thinking about the GS112 as well as the Mini 12. You say the Mini is "different sounding" - how so?

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    +1,000,000:bassist:

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Hard to put into words. The speaker is angled, so it projects a little differently. So when you play it, it doesn't have a traditional 12" tone. It's a little bassier and rounder, and doesn't seem to have as much articulation as the GS112. Like most of Jorg's cabs, they sound much better in a band situation than alone. This a cab I wish I could have heard with a band.

I'd talk to James Hart, as he's had more experience with the Mini 12. I've only heard one for a short time.

9. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Good to know. The sad thing is that they were at NAMM, and I didn't check those out. I was too busy digging the 1210 light.

10. paulverio

paulverio

Jan 25, 2006
    Canuck Land
    i personally recommend the eden 112xlt

i use one for church that seats 150 - 200 people

i drive mine with an eden wt550b

gain = 10
    master = 11 - 12 (for really loud songs)
    eq = flat (slight bass boost when needed)
    enhance = off

my setup can compete with a loud drummer and a guitarist 40 watt tube combo

so yeah.. check the cab out when you get the chance

i'm saving up for another one :D

11. +1

I have 2 D112XLT's plus a D210XST powered by an Eden WT800B.

OMFG :hyper:

I am pleased with it.:cool:

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I believe Jorg has redesigned the mini 12 to be more 'traditional' in design and sound, with the 12 now front firing. The Mini comes in a sealed (I assume to tight up the low end for DB players) and ported version, and with or without a tweeter, and also in light and regular versions.... nice!

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    +1. One for church, two for LOUD club band with no PA support. B@lls to spare. Doing a hangar show with PA next week; I'm kinda curious how they're going to hold up. :eyebrow:

14. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    You may want to look into the Euphonic Audio CXL112. Used, they're in your price range.
    Very strong low end, super clear tone, very efficient, very portable as well.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1 for the Aguilar GS112...

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    An off the wall suggestion - Acme Low-B2.

Yes, I know it's a 2x10". But it's closer in size to most 1x12"s than 2x10"s, has a fatter deeper sound than any 10" speaker has a right to be, and is closer in price to a decent 1x12" than the boutique 2x10" price it should cost.

Alex

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd apply the same description to the G-K Neo112. Its low end isn't as "old-school" warm as the Aguilar. It's tight and punchy.

18. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    The GS112s get my vote. I just got a couple about a week ago and they've gotten 0 rest since!:D

19. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I recently played through a Bergantino single 12" that impressed hell out of me, but they're more expensive - used maybe?

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, that should be great! I was about to suggest a used Epifani T-112 (aka NYC-112). Those have huge low end. The EA Wizzy has a very full low end, though not as big down deep as the T-112. The Bergantino HT-112 is a killer all around 1x12, with very good lows, especially for its size The same can be said for the Glockenklang Space Deluxe.

Tom.