1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single 15" cab recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HillBillyWannaB, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Any recommendations for an inexpensive single 15" cab? I just posted about 15" combos, I wound up with a Trace Elliott Commando 15 which blows chunks. It cracks and hums all over the place.

I'm just going to use my Trace Elliot head with a single 15 so I don't have to lug around my 410. Only have about $150 to spend though, so I'm looking for used. Just need it for small club gigs, larger rooms will get the 410.

I've seen the GK backline, Peavey 115BX around used pretty cheap and a new Kustom Deep End cab which I can't find any information about. Let me know if there's anything else out there I should be looking for.

Thanks

2. Also found a GK RB series 115 in my price range, how does that compare to the backline series?

3. Avatar is very good for the price. A slight step up- and sometimes found pretty low- would be Bag End.

4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Bag End

5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Avatar cabs are great bang for the buck..

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg PF115he is a hottie.

7. They're all good cabs, just out of my price range right now.

8. exmaxima1

exmaxima1

Jan 27, 2009
    Geneva IL
  9. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Check CL for TL606 cabs... They tend to sound good regardless of speaker! But best with EV15B, and especially the Eminence KappLite 3015.

I prefer sealed 2x15s for their low-mid focus, and nice easy roll-off of both highs and lows... But the TL cabs are a close 2nd, especially in large rooms, and outside, where big sound is required!

10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Brand new Kustoms on clearance for $99 at MF, Music123, etc.

11. bassdopp

bassdopp Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Keep your eyes open for a Joe's cabinet. They were made many moons ago. It is a TL606, but made to the nines! It should come loaded with a JBL E140. The speaker wire is braided and thick. The cab is packed with fiberglass. The sound is smooth and punchy. Put two together and raise the roof.
    BassDopp

12. If you can't find something on CL or some other private sale, check Guitar Center Online. They'll apparently ship to the nearest store for pick up. Looks like they have some Peaveys, GKs and Hartkes in your price range.

13. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Build yourself a TL606 cab for about $100, plus speaker... Many 1x15s are founded on this design... There are other worthy designs on here as well... That is the only one I've personally tried, and can attest to...

Personally, I prefer sealed cabs (2x12 and 2x15), and can also attest to their performance. I have built 2x12 and 2x15 sealed cabs, and honestly say that for my style (flatwound strings, 60s R&B, James Jamerson/Macca/Kaye sound), the sealed cabs are preferred. They are even easier to build than the TL cabs (I can give you specs for them if you like).

Ultimately, what I recommend is saving yourself hundreds of dollars by building your own cabs instead of buying!! The bragging rights alone are worth the price of admission!!

14. Mackluth

Mackluth

Jun 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey ScottTunes, that sealed 2x15 sounds cool. Not to invite myself into this thread, but don't suppose I could bug you for the specs on that? What drivers did you put in yours?

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ^^^Good stuff. I worked for a music store in Boston in the 1980s and we sold a ton of Joe's 1x15" cabinets to bass players...usually they'd buy them unloaded and then pick the driver a la carte (which, at that time, either meant a JBL D140 or an Electro-Voice EVM15B). Everyone seemed to like them then, and they were built like a brick poophouse so a 20-year-old cabinet should still be perfectly viable now.

Nowadays I sometimes borrow a Joe's 1x12" speaker cabinet from the guitarist in my band and use it with my bass rig. No idea what driver is in there, but it sounds fine.

16. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    But my favorite 1x15" bass cabinet is the original Eden D115 (no tweeter). I've had mine for 15 years and I've never been disappointed in its performance. I'll bet they're not too expensive on eBay or CL.

17. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd look for a used DR Bass Cab. As much as a schmuck the owner was for taking people's money, he did build some pretty kick ass cabinets.

I play thru a DRB115 (600 watts @ 4 ohms). It is lightweight for a non-neo cabinet and it sounds incredible. I use a Fender 800 Pro through the cabinet.

18. For $150, you're definitely looking for something used. Around here, that price range would include used Peavey stuff, Hartke TP series, and possibly some PA cabs. FWIW, my local GC has a pair of Carvin 2x15 main cabs for $189 each. Yeah, the purists will balk at that, but they actually work pretty well as long as you have limiter to mellow out the spikes. I just missed a Craigslist deal last week-Peavey 130w head and Kustom twin 15 box for $125 he said the head kept overheating and shutting down, but the speaker cab alone was worth the $$.

19. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, speak of the devil! There is a DR Bass cab in the TB classifieds if you are interested.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs-only-mint-3-way-drb-1580s-897097/

20. I have no doubt that you have a 100% well intentioned, good faith belief that "anyone can build their own cabinet" and save money in the process. As a practical matter, it's simply not the case. I admit that I don't know details on these cabinet builds, but even if they came as completely prepared kits (cut, drilled, sanded), including all parts, there would still be a significant portion of people who would struggle and come to an unsatisfactory overall result. Doing a good job screwing and gluing a Sauder desk eludes some people. Imagine if one of those same people had to cut, sand and make corners.

There's a matter of having a craftsman's touch. Part of that is innate in some people and part of it is developed with experience. Not everyone has either the innate aspect or the experience, let alone both, and it's arguably the case that both would be required to successfully build a cabinet at lower cost and greater satisfaction than buying one.

There's also the matter of tools. Again, the whole idea of "just build it yourself" not only rests on someone knowing how to use the tools involved (well), but also, obviously, having them. Everyone does not.

While it must be very satisfying for people who are capable, I'd think that if building one of these cabinets involves cutting the wood, at least 99% of people would not be able to successfully build a quality cabinet at a lower "cost" (cost being equal to dollars + time + frustration) than buying one.