Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single 15 v.s. 4x10 differences??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KenToby, Sep 27, 2002.

1. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I have a single 15 cab and a 4x10 cab (used will be used in conjunction with a 2x10 w/tweeter).

I'm trying to figure under what circumstances should I use the 15 or the 4x10.
    I understand the 15 can handle SLIGHTLY more bottom (about 40Hz v.s. 45Hz for the 4x10) however
    I hear I can get more "punch" with the 4x10.
    Either way there are some compromises to be made.

I guess I'm looking for one "Set it and forget it" amp and effect setting instead of having to reset every thing based on which low freq. cab I bring to the gig.

Thoughts??

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Oh you want the "Ronco" amp??:D :cool:

I heard it is 300 watts and 30000 btu at 4 ohms ;) :rolleyes: It can play the low B and cook two 5lb chickens :D

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Trust your ears. Nobody will be able to give you a prescription for the tone that is in your head. 4x10 cabs are great as stand-alones. A 1-15 can be as well. After using two 4X10 cabs, I switched to a 4X10 and a 115. This was the combination I had been looking for. The 15 added a voicing (I cannot say that it was lower than the 4X10...just different) that was lacking in the pair of 4X10s. I have two of each...My favorite combination is a 4X10 and a 115.

Kim