Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single 1RU One Space Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgavin, Apr 12, 2002.

1. I did a search and didn't come up with much, other than the SoundTech series is kind of thought as a cheapie budget line amp.

I'm curious if anybody has hands-on experience with the Peavey DPC, SoundTech PS, or other one space power amps?

I don't need a lot of power, perhaps 75 per channel into 8 ohms, but I do need it to be stereo/dual mono.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    75 watts per channel??? this for a bass??

anyways, besides their venerated 1.2 World which is one rack 11 lbs, they make a slew of other single rack and half rack power amps that range from 50-200 watts. but do another forum search for the Stewarts and you should get a lengthy thread about the 1.2 World and Peavey DPC1400x which is another great 1 unit power amp.

www.stewartaudio.com

3. I second the stewart vote. Awesome power. If your rig is grownig I promise you 75 watts will be to little too soon.

I used alot of the 2U sound tech stuff in a pa system (sponsored) if it was my bands money I would have went Peavey, Stewart, or QSC.

Another option would be carvin. They now make a single spacer.

Why do you only want 75 watts?

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey, if bgavin says he only needs 75x2 watts, then it's not for bass. You've got the super subs, right gavin? I'll second the nomination for the Stewart. My 1 space PA-1000 is a really good sounding workhorse.

5. I'm looking for a second amp for my bi-amp rig. I'm preparing to add two more 15" subs, and they will connect to the other channel of my QSC 3000a. That way I'll have all four driven from the 3,000 watt amp.

Right now, I'm running my JBL E110 pair on the other QSC channel and this is a real waste of available power. The JBLs take a maximum of 75w each, so I have them wired in series to throttle them back compared to the subs.

I have a line on a SoundTech PS802, but chatter here leads me to ask if SoundTech is a tinker-toy product line.

The Stewarts scare the crap out of me, after watching one of my buds deal with Stewarts going up in smoke multiple times.

[ edited for grammar ]

6. I have a Peavey DPC1000 in my rack - for what I paid for it ($350) it's probably the best value in a power amp I've seen - and it only weighs 12 lb.

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Carver has made several single space power amps and so has Crown. I have one of the Carver PM-300's and it is a nice amp.

You may have been referring to the 1.2 World that I had that smoked 3 times, huh Bruce? That one had a "demon" in it and Stewart replaced it with a 1.6 World for a $50 upcharge. I still use the 1.6 World and my PA-1000 and love them both. they are the best sounding power amps for bass that I've heard.

Chuck

8. Chuck,

That Stewart of yours really soured me on the product in general. Demon... that's an understatement.

Windows 98 is the only thing I can think of that crashed and burned more times than your Stewart. I am *so* glad you got that put to rest.

I'd like a 1RU amp only because it would fit my 3RU QSC amp and 4-space rack. I can always build a 5-space rack if necessary.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like alan said, get Peavey's single rack power amp. but get the newer Concert series DPC1400x. runs with lots of power but with a nice fan that reacts to how intensely the power needs are. got a great write up in BP that peavey so nicely reprinted on their website.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's a pretty expensive piece for someone who stated that he only needs 75 per channel into 8 ohms. The DPC 1000 would probably be a good choice but since they're being made anymore, they tend to be a little hard to find. That's especially true about finding one at the price allan was fortunate enough to pay. I know where one is but they guy is asking $600.00 for it. He wouldn't budge one inch for me so as far as I know it's still available.

11. ebozzz said...

I know where one is but they guy is asking $600.00 for it. He wouldn't budge one inch for me so as far as I know it's still available.

I think I know about the one you're looking at, ebozzz - tell him you know someone who bought one a couple months ago for $350 :D

allan

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I really hesitate to bring this up, but Carvin sells a small power amp that puts out 75 Watts per channel @ 4 ohms... 150 bridged into 8. Might that fit the bill??

-robert

13. Yah, what would be wrong w/ a Cavin HT150?

Sounds pretty close for about $245 shipped. It's not 75W @ 8ohms, but it would probably do just fine.

HTH.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I did allan. He wouldn't have it at all! The same guy has a Peavey Kosmos for sale at $200.00. The list price is $300.00 and I'm sure that I could get at least 30% off the list from the Peavey dealer that I do business with. With that in mind, why would I pay $200.00 for a used one? That guy is pretty proud of his stuff for sure! :)

15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I believe it's discontinued now, but for your power needs, a Marshall 8008 valvestate power amp might fit the bill. IIRC, the Marshall 8008 is 80 watts per channel and they sold for about $350 new. You may be able to find one used or NOS...

16. There's a SoundTech PS-802 that has come available for $250.

I'm hunting around for an inexpensive 1U or 2U power amp for the Highs of my bi-amp rig. 150 watts into 4 ohms, per channel is the absolute highest amount of power I need. I can live with less, easily.

I'm kinda wondering about the reliability of the SoundTech compared to the Peavey, etc. The PS-802 has fans, and a Class-H output.

Anybody?