1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

single 1x15 handles all of my gigs... this so unusual?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Devo-lution, May 15, 2011.

1. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Had a GASsy period lately. Tried a few amps (including 500 watt+) and could never find my way with 'm...

Now I finally feel I have found a rig that does it for me soundwise. A 100 watt tube amp and a matching custom designed 115. And no, this is not a tube amp commercial, I like solid state sounds as well.

I bought this off a studio musician who sold his car and didn't wanna schlep it around no more. I must say, reading talkbass posts made me fear about a volume shortage. I read posts about how a 115 + a 100-watt amp would only be loud enough for the smallest gigs and that this config would inevitably be drowned out if there are two guitar players.

Well, I'm in a semi-loud post punk/post rock band that has three guitar players and a keyboard player, and the rig handles it fine :D. Volume up half and gain adjusted so that the signal is overdriven just the tiniest bit (this overdrive is inaudible in a bandmix).

Not a rant... More some kind of cheer, but I thought I'd share it :hyper:

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I played 200w 115 combos for years (although I'm talking solid state) and did just fine. Your 100w tube amp should be a lot louder than what I had. I'm considering going back to 15s.

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I too have used a TL606 (1x15) cabinet for years but usually with a 300 - 400 watt amp for clean headroom. It does well with a sane rock band and no PA suport for parties and bar gigs. I do miss the big a$$ tone and full top & bottom of a multi driver cab, but for the above mentioned gigs, it doesn't matter that much to me.

4. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    100 watt tube is louder than 100 watt solid state, i think it was the 100watt solid state people say wouldnt be loud enough and I agree.

5. +1
    Back in the day I used a 115 on many gigs, and added another on the really big venues. I always had high quality speakers such as JBL K140 and EVM 115B, loaded into well designed enclosures.

6. robertusf

robertusf

Jul 19, 2007
    Chicagoland
    +1 on the 115. Most venues have decent enough PA support

Since someone will ask might as well be me: What brand is it anyway?

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There are too many guys here with watt-envy. I must admit that I have bought a Genz-Benz Shuttle amp with more power than I need, which I think is typical...but it weighs less than 4 pounds, which is justification in itself.

Before the G-B I generally played all gigs with a Bassman 120/15" combo, or a Hartke 1400 (140W @ 4 ohms, 80W @ 8 ohms) into a single Peavey 15. The only time either one was not enough was when I played an outdoors gig in a public square.

IMO a 100W tube head and single 15 are enough amp and cab volume-wise for most gigs that are indoors and are played at sane sound levels.

And that is without PA support.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've been using a Roland DB 700 combo for years on small to medium volume gigs, with and without PA support, no problem. Outside, big stages probably not the best solution, but it also depends on how good the PA support is, especially the monitor system. I have used it for gigs where it's only one set, outside with a huge PA and had no problems being heard by myself and the other guys. I also have a 215, old school cab I yank out every once in awhile, loaded with JBL E140's that sounds glorious, but is heavy as hell. I have a fEARful on the way, 15/6/1, and I'm hoping this cab will be the be-all, end-all of cabs. But, I will still use that Roland for small, no PA, Blues band gigs I get occasionally.

9. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Didn't include brand name since it's a teeny tiny brand. Head and cab are both made by Stefaan of FAD (freeqi audio design). He is based in Ghent and is seen as one of the best tube amp servicers in Belgium. He also builds them himself and those are plainly labeled "FAD".

Amp is reportedly a pimped up bassman design with improved EQ...
    cab is a ported 115 with a 700 watt Tayden speaker...

Not quite convinced on the "tubes are way louder" thing. Sometimes I rehearse in a huge garage hall that has a lot of resonance going on. In those cases I use a 300 watt solid state amp through the 115. As much as I like the tubetone, the 300 watt-stater is louder.

10. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Played a gig last night with my TINY custom made 15" cab that is 17" cube with a port in the back, and a GK 800rb and VT bass. I knew the sound man who was doing the show would do a fine job with the house mix. It sounded like a B15 only much, much louder, and the guitar players were using a Fender Twin and a Vox Ac30 and my volume was just fine. And at the end of the night was pretty sweet to leave it locked in the trunk of my compact car.

11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I used an Acoustic 140 bass head (solid state at ~125 watts) for years and years prior to the days of "PA support" into a 2X15 and still had plenty of head room for club work (we didn't mic drum sets in clubs back then). Big power is nice to have available but not really "necessary" for that kind of gig.

I also used my V4B outdoors (tube at ~125 watts) numerous times in band shell-type settings. It worked hard but nobody complained they couldn't hear me :).

Granted, club volumes are a lot higher most places today, but I wouldn't hesitate to run those rigs today if they were on hand.

xelaalex likes this.
  12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    One of my favorite cabinets of all time is the Bag End S15D. I have played plenty of shows small and large just with that cabinet and a small head(iAMP350, Eden WT500). I would love to grab another, and probably will soon.