1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Single 9-volt powering an Aguilar OBP-3?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PaulYeah, May 2, 2006.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Just got my bass pack from the shop a few weeks ago, when I had an OBP-3 installed. I understood that this preamp required 2-9 volt batteries, but my axe just has the one battery, in the original position. Did he have to re-wire something to get it to work with a single 9-volt?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

From what I understand, the OB-3 works with either one or two nine volt batteries. The 18volt wiring will give you more 'headroom'... but I've never heard of an internal preamp clipping, so my guess is, you would never notice the difference. Jerzy Drozd ships his basses with the OB-3 wired for 9 volts and it sounds great.

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It was my understanding that by saying 18v gave you more headroom, that it meant in your EQ boosts/cuts......if you, hypothetically speaking, have +/- 12db while in 9v operation, then you may have +/-20db while in 18v operation....I'm not totally sure about all the specs of the OBP-3, but that was my understanding of the difference between 9 & 18v operation, not the affect on the overall gain output of the bass.........

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That's somewhat confusing to me also. I'm pretty sure it does not impact the actual output (which is relatively low on the OB-3). The web site just lists "an additional 6db with 18 volt operation"... not really sure what that means. There was a thread on this a while back, and the conclusion was that it was purely a sort of 'pre clipping buffer' sort of thing.... that the preamp would be 'cleaner', not so much that you would have either greater output in general, or more +/- db's on the tone control.

All I know is... it sounds very good with one 9 volt battery:)

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No, going to 18v doesn't increase the amount of boost/cut available, and there's no change to the overall output gain of the bass. Rather, "headroom" means that if you send a really strong signal into the preamp--slapping with a really hot pickup, for instance--the preamp will be able to take a bigger input spike without compressing or clipping. Ideally, the result is better dynamics and a more "open" sound.

Mike

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That was my understanding also... although you stated it much better:) . Again, using a somewhat aggressive slap style on occasion, I've never had a problem with the OB-3 'clipping' or distorting using the 9 volt operation.

7. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    ahhhh......sense makes this does now.... :D ..........good explanation.......very concise....

8. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi:

I have a tight control cavity, so I wrote the good folks
    at Aguilar concerning running one 9V battery with
    an OBP-1, and this is what they wrote back:

The OBP-1 is designed to use 18V. Using 9V will not hurt the preamp, but it
    will change the internal bias levels. This will result in more distortion
    than with 18V. That being said, I have heard that people are using it at 9V
    and like the sound. But I cannot guarantee performance at 9V, so you would
    have to try it yourself and see if you like it.

So, half a dozen of one, six of the other.

I might try it!

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

9. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the responses, guys! Looks like I'm good to go with a single 9-volt.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I have both an OBP-1 with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and an OBP-3 with Bart soapbars and they both run with 9V with no problem.