Single Bass to Replace a P and a J on Gigs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have a gig tonight and like usual I will be dragging a Jazz bass (a Sadowsky NYC or maybe my Geddy) and a P bass (my 1974 P or 1997 '62RI P). I play thru a MB F1, SansAmp RBI, BBE Sonic Maximizer and Ampeg Cabs.

Tonight I will play my P tonight for about 13 songs (mostly old funk and Chili Peppers) and my Jazz for abour 25-30 songs (everyting from Led Zep, Stones, Green Day, Doobies, Police, U2, ZZ Top, etc.). I know this only becasue I am finishing the setlist as I type this.:rolleyes:

My question is..... what bass can sound very close to a Jazz and a Precision all rolled into one? I am very picky and have played Fenders for 20 years, so I have the tone of MIA P and J's imbedded in my brain! Close won't cut it - it's gotta be almost dead on sound/tone wise. Feel/look is not a real issue for me.

I have had a Bongo HH, a Lakland 55-02 and a Stingray H in the past and own 2 Fender Jazz V's. None of these basses did it for me.

My back and arms thank you!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Umm...a P/J of some sort?

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Fender Ergodyne Jazz. Has the P/J setup and can pretty much nail the tones you're looking for.

4. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    a Sadowsky P/J ;)

5. Baird6869

Nope. Too much of a blanket statement. For example, an American Classic P doesn't have a neck pickup and the slap tone isn't the same as a Jazz.

6. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    an urge II bass?

7. Baird6869

Will they do a P pickup and both J pickups?

I play both Jazz pickups consistantly... sometimes more neck, sometimes both, sometimes more bridge.

8. Ding!

9. Baird6869

Thanks! That may be an option.

I have an old Urge I and it is basically a Jazz with a small body and a 32" scale. I am generally a Fender guys also.

10. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Get a Dingwall Afterburner I. Its passive, and the pickups are basically P-bass pickups under the covers and the 4-way pickup selector switch gives options to have both pickups in parallel, like a Jazz bass, or series. Solo the neck pickup and close your eyes and you'll swear you are hearing a good P-bass, put both pickup in parallel and you there's your Jazz. You still have two positions to mess with(bridge pickup soloed and both pickups in series, which sounds HUGE). Combine that with a low B from heaven and that bass can do just about anything.

11. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    Send Roger an email. He would let you know.

The Stu Hamm bass from Fender was another good suggestion!

12. Baird6869

I find it strange that most hybrid J/P basses don't have a neck J pickup. I though many Jazz bass users would use the neck pickup as much as I do.

The Marcus Miller, Duff, Frank Bello, Reggie Hamilton Fenders and most boutiques only have a P and a single bridge J pickup.

An Aerodyne also only has a bridge Jazz pickup.:confused:

13. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    revpj1.gif

Reverend P/J. Very light, killer tone.

sb2body3.gif

G&L SB2.

14. Baird6869

I spoke to my friendly neighbourhood Sadowsky retailer (Club Bass) and he figures almost $4k to have Roger build something and get it into Canada and it would have a crazy long lead time.

Under $2k (even used) and something I can get in my hands before March would be perfect.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Very helpful.:bassist:

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    When did the Marcus Miller have a P pickup?

16. Baird6869

My mistake. A Jazz but with more tonal capabilities. Two band/active passive, etc. Theoretically it should give one more tones than a basic Jazz.

17. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I would think that's because the P p/u, and the J neck p/u reside in the same place. You'd have to put the J p/u closer to the neck, therefore changing the tone of the J neck p/u soloed. Two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time.

The Urge is still a bit of a compromise.

18. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Inactive

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I never take more than one instrument to a job so I'd just take whatever I felt like playing at the moment.

19. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
  20. Baird6869

I have no problem bringing 2 basses in all honesty (in case of a malfunction), but I have been switching from a P to a J once per set. 3-4 bass changes per night is a pain in the a$$.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021