Single Blade Alnico P-Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Anybody tried these or anything like them?

HTB1OWQrNpXXXXcgXXXXq6xXFXXXg.jpg
    I'm finding my Quarter Pounders a bit too brash for country and though it's a bit of a flight of fancy (I'll probably l replace them with Geezers) these Alnico single blades cought my attention.

That they are made in Korea is also a feather in their cap, though I know that's not a guarantee quality. Also, based on the similiar MIK pickup listings, these might be made by G&B which is no bad thing. For $23 I'm tempted to give it a go just to see what they're like.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    PawleeP likes this.
  2. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The new Nordstrand Power Blades are great, but I believe they're ceramic.

Linnin likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Being ceramic isn't a bad thing. DiMarzio is also ceramic and have great smooth tone. I like their Split P dual rail humbuckers, and have a set in my '76 Precision.
    woio2lfmyhiczprubqib.jpg and they also come in white too
    302265000002000-00-290x290.jpg

NKBassman likes this.
  4. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Not used those but they look spiffy. For $23 it'll be hard to complain even if they don't work out.

The Carvin P pickup is an alnico 5 single rail deal, but the whole thing is under the plastic cover so you can't see the rail.

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Stuff from Aliexpress .....
    Check the pup dimension, look like not direct fit with Fender pickguard spec.

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Yeah those are great too. I have two sets sitting in the drawer at home, waiting for a project that may never happen.
    I'm currently running the Nordstrand Power Blades in my main P, and really like them so far. No reason to switch to the Dimarzios at this time.

PawleeP, Carey and Linnin like this.
  7. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the info folks. I didn't realize Carvin had a similar setup.

I also found this pickup which is especially interesting because my P has a huge swimming pool route under the pickguard just below the neck that I put in years ago in an abortive attempt to add a super ferrite in the neck.
    HTB1ZgsnNpXXXXb5XpXXq6xXFXXXB.jpg

I know I should probably just get the Geezer (I loved the P/J set in my LTD Vintage 214), but having a big bucker in the neck is awfully tempting. Looks like it's 3 wire too so I could put in a switch to split off a coil.

NKBassman likes this.
  8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Be sure to let us know if you pull the trigger in any of these.

9. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    i rock a set of Reverend Guitars P-Blades. No idea who makes 'em (doubt it is Reverend) but they sound warm and round

10. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Just to follow up. I fiddled about with the pickup height on my quarter pounders and they sound good again so I'll be keeping them for now and not buying any mystery blade pickups.

However, right now a 35" neck is being made for my jazz bass. I'm very tempted to buy one of those super-light palouina p-bass bodies from GFS and slap the current neck on it so I may revisit the MIK Alnico Blade pups in a month or so. If I got this body I could even slap the MM bucker in there...

11. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    anyone try the blade bardens JBE engineering?
    I have a jazz I'm tricking out, and the pole pieces
    (especially on the E and G) are off.. wonder if it even matters much?

12. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I haven't. I decided against buying another p-bass body for the neck and just sold the neck.

I guess someone else will have to experiment!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022