1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

single block or sandwich?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by danharris, Sep 26, 2013.

1. tree is felled and alaskan milled into 12 foot lenghts, i have a few at 2 inches thick and a few more at 3/4. its air drying in a warehouse at work.

im sort of new at this so im going to order a pre fabed bolt on neck from carvin or something.

back to the point.

should i use one solid block? or should i glue 3 of the 3/4 pieces together? making a sandwich with perpendicular grains seems like the way. it will look good when its all shaped out too.... am i on the right track?

second question... how do i make the top layer a diffrent colour?
    i see it everywhere, are they getting stained and finished before it gets glued together? i play a cort that is all normal wood colour but the top is bright red flamed maple. its neck(neck through) is light tan wood colour. someone please shed some light on this please.

2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    If it's fresh wood and you're waiting for it to air dry, you're going to have to wait a LONG time. In that case, I would assume the sandwich would be better because the thinner pieces would dry faster than the 2" pieces.

For dying the tops, there's a thread here that shows how: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/dyeing-quilted-maple-how-810661/