Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single cab choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by firstbassman, Nov 16, 2004.

1. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I've had an old Hartke 4x10 cab wasting away in a basement for about 20 years or so that I'd forgotten about - never even used it once. It was just rediscovered, so I picked up a Behringer BX3000T head to go along with it. But after pulling the cab out and cleaning it up, I found out that the salesman chumped me (I was a naive 16-year old at the time) - it's a guitar cabinet!

So now I've gotta pick up a new cab, too. I want only one, because space is an issue (at least to my wife). We play small to medium venues, sometimes outside. I'm playing a vintage 4001 with a Sansamp BDDI, so I don't wanna compromise my bottom end. That's why I'm thinking a 2x12 - I think that a 410 would lose too much depth. I'm willing to accept that this is a misconception.

I'm thinking maybe an Avatar or Dr. Bass, so I can keep it to somewhere around $300. The 212 Ampeg Portabass would be great size wise, but it's just a little outta budget. Plus, I haven't heard great reviews about it.

So, what would you do for a "one size fits all" cab? 4x10 or 2x12? 115? 112? I'm open to ideas - after all, I'm the one that bought a guitar cabinet, so now I'm gonna do my homework.

By the way - belated RIP, Rickbass.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    well ..

depends on what your gig settings ..

2x12 is famous to work as a stand alone cab ... much better than a single 410 or a 115.

but if you want a smaller one .. probably 112 is sufficient?

3. can't believe that guy sold you a 410 guitar cab. if it had an open back that should have been your first hint.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    how many watts does your amp put out at 8 ohms and at 4 ohms???

for 400 beans or so you can get a bag end 1x15, which is my choice of standalone cabinet ;)

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I just switched over to 2x12's (WBS neo's) after years of playing 4x10 and 2x10 cabs and I ain't goin' back!