Single cab operations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Mar 15, 2004.

1. I just got back from iraq and need a new rig, I am looking at either a hartke 3500 or the Ampeg B2R, both used, and either a Hartke 115XL or Avatar B115 as the cab, I'd love to get a 410 but none are available at my price range and I need a cab pretty quick, plus with either amp I could add a 210 or a 410 and get more volume (later ofcourse), this is what I am thinking.
    Anyways, the question is, is it possible to run any combination of the above gear and sound good enough to gig in a classic rock/blues gig? Any ideas or comments are appreciated.....

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you can only have one cab, my preference would be a 2x12. IMHO more lows than a 2x10 and more mids/highs than a 1x15. A good 2x12, such as Avatar, would also be loud.

The big decision then is 4 ohm for volume now or 8 ohm for flexibility later.
  3. I can understand that, but for the moment the only thing available is a 1x15 which I am hoping will keep me gigging till I can get a 210 or 212 ( I forgot the 212 in the first post!).
  4. First of all, welcome home.

5. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll go for the 1x15 cauz I really dig that kind of sound but i don't know if it's suits your needs... I'll go for the 8 ohms cab.

Check out the really cheap/crap cabs, for a 50 bucks range you may add a 2x10 to your stak just for keeping the right impedance.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi TJ, welcome back! I'd take the Avatar over the Hartke cab any day. As I recall the Avatar 15 uses a big powerful Eminence speaker that should tide you over for classic rock and blues. I'm not a big fan of Ampeg amps in general (except for the old monster SVT, the only problem with that one being that I'm gettin' too old to be hauling around 100 pound tube amps). Last time I played a 3500, which was many years ago, I thought the sound was okay, the only thing I've heard about them is that they're somewhat unreliable and you have to be careful with cranking them up for too long. Have you checked eBay? You can probably find some nice thousand watt amps for cheap (like a Carvin FET-1000 power amp, which IME is super reliable and very clean, you can probably snag one of those for around 150 bucks, and then go with a separate preamp, if you don't mind hauling around a small rack).
  7. I own a Hartke 115XL and it is the best sounding 1x15 I've ever used. They have the warmth of a 15 but with more punch and clarity. Right now it isn't "in style" to like or use Hartke cabs. I remember when it was all the rage, go figure. I haven't heard or used the Avatar but a lot of people speak highly of them. You won't get burned with either 1x15.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Of course it is.
  9. I'd take the avatar over the Hartke, the sound is more real and round.

Try to get a used 2x12, and you have the best of both worlds, the low end of a 15" and the crispiness of a 10"
  10. Well I think I got lucky today, I picked up a 80's era SVT-410E Ampeg cab for $225.

Anyone got any infor on this cab and do you think it will do ok with my Hartke 3500?