Single Cab Solution: Schroeder 310212, Accugroove Bill Dickens 212, El Whoppo, or Jr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWBass, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Schroder 310212 run off of Eden Wt-800B @ 1100 w or a Demeter HBP1 into Stewart World 2.1

24 vote(s)
  2. Accugroove Bill D. 212 run off of Eden Wt-800B @ 1100 w or a Demeter HBP1 into Stewart World 2.1

1 vote(s)
  3. Accugroove El Whoppo run off of Eden Wt-800B @ 1100 w or a Demeter HBP1 into Stewart World 2.1

14 vote(s)
  4. Accugroove Whoppo Jr. run off of Eden Wt-800B @ 1100 w or a Demeter HBP1 into Stewart World 2.1

5 vote(s)
  1. MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    I just realized something before. I was hauling my rig down into the basement and it really pissed me off. I am currently playing through 2 Eden 410XLT's and I have a rack case that weighs almost 100 pouns as well. It takes me 4 trips to get all of my stuff moved and I hate it. I basically decided that I would like to have a one cab does it all type situation. I was trying to convince Tom Bowlus to sell me his Euphonic Audio CxL-210 because there is another one at a store near here. They sound great, completely clear and accurate, but that would still be four trips at almost the same weight ( cabs are 80 pounds).

I truly would like to make just 2 trips. I don't care if the cab is heavy. As long as it has casters I'll only have to carry it up stairs, which I am easily capable of doing by myself. I just want to cut down on the trips. I want to be in and out.

That being said I realize there are only a few ways to do this:

(Bear in mind I am replacing two eden 410XLT's that were run at 1100 watts a piece off of a QSC PLX 3402)

1.) Accugroove Bill Dickens 212 run off of an Eden WT-800 at 1100 watts or use a Demeter HBP-1 into a stewart world 2.1 and hit it with 2100 watts.

2.) Accugroove Whoppo Junior run off of an Eden WT-800 at 1100 watts or use a Demeter HBP-1 into a stewart world 2.1 and hit it with 2100 watts.

3.) Accugroove El Whoppo with the same powering situation..

4.) Schroeder 310212 run off of a Demeter HBP-1 into a stewart world 2.1 at 2100 watts.

As I have said before I am a strict 4 string player and a percussive player, slapping and tapping 75 percent of the time. I love extreme clarity and accuracy but want to maintain that thick low end thump when I hit the bottom.
    I have demoed an EA cxl-210 and an Accugroove El Whoppo through the Eden WT-800B at 1100 watts, ( just for tone, the whoppo obviously would be louder)and this is what I found:

The EA was extremely clean and accurate. But the whoppo had an incredible bottom end. So full and thumpy. But I noticed when I had that full bottom good for some good thumping, when I switched to fingerstyle around the second octave, it got extremely boomy. What I'm looking to try and get is that big thump on the bottom, with clear not harsh highs, while still retaining complete accuracy throughout all styles of playing, and obviously nice stage volumes. I don't need to be as loud as the 2 410XLT's, I used them both so that I didn't have to drive the cabs to hard, because they sounded like ass driven too hard. But, I want soomthing that is going to allow me to be heard in a band situation with two guitars drums and vocals...

Ok, that being said, I realize the choices I posted above are pretty much the best options, unless anyone can think of anything else. Any thoughts on this...
  2. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I went for El Whappo.

Simply as I have a wee TRI210L from Accugroove. I play a similar style to you, it sounds. I like clarity and huge woofs of bottom end. I have never heard a schroeder cab, and given that i am in the UK, probably unlikely to.. more by luck than availability.

I think the setup of Whappo maybe the way to go. The 15, the 12 and the 6" cones are pretty much gonna cover everything. I love the sound of the soft dome tweeters. Indeed there are some in my HIFI! albeit a different make probably. Maybe a wee bit of EQing would sort the boominess in certain rooms?

For transportability, I guess Whappo Jr would be the next best thing.
  3. MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Yeah, I have played the Whoppo and love the sound except I found that it got a bit boomy in the low mids when running fingerstyle at around the second octave...

A lot of people have been telling me to try the Jr. thus loosing the extra boominess...I'm still unsure though...

The shroeder 310212 sounds cool too, but from what a few have said, it is not quite as studio flat and accurate...

Jorg is a great guy by the way...
  4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I can't speak for the accugroove cabs, but I can offer some advice. If you are considering Schroeder cabs, I highly suggest that you contact Jorg Schroeder himself. Your application and expectations of the 310212 are probably not what that cab is designed for. Anyway Jorg is very familiar with most setups ( having owned almost all of them) and can offer advice as to wich combination of cabs will give you what you want. He is more than willing to talk to you about your needs.
  5. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I have to agree with the above statement. The Schroeder's thing isn't clarity. They sound great. But they have their own sound. I think that the best way for you to go might be the El Whappo. It is a great cab. It should more than cover your needs.

About that low mid boominess, Does it happen when you play the same note in first position on a higher string? If not, I think the problem might be your set up or a technique issue. No insult intended. Just something else to consider.

B Easy
  6. From the playing style you described, it seems the Epifani410UL at 4ohms and the Eden800B would be a wonderful choice.... the UL line is incredibly articulate and clean, amazingly light (my 410UL is right around 60 pounds), and handles TONS of power. Have Nick put some removable wheels on it and you have the ultimate 'one trip in' rig.... with the cab being light enough to lift it on a 3 foot tall stage easily by yourself.
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yeah, the Schro puts a little bit of it's own "funk" on your sound, which I definitely dig, but have heard that the Accu's are pretty much transparent.

And from having a Demeter pre, if you want just amplification for your bass' sound, I'd go with one of those. Which I'd have no idea, but yeah- with that kind of rig at stake, try out anything you can at all costs!!! :eek: :bassist:
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I know you didn't list it, but have you had the chance to try out a Bergantino HT-322 cab?

- Art
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    That was my thought as well.
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    IMHO if you like the sound of your Eden's, I say go with Schroeder. They have that low-mid range bump like the Edens, so will have a similar feel. The 310212 is also only the size of one Eden 410XLT, halving your rig.

PS. talk to Jorg, you may also find a 31012 is all you need, especially if you didn't need the volume of two 410XLT's.
  11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

I'd say at what, 2000+W, he should do fine replacing both cabs... ;)
  12. MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    Actually, I have been trying to get away from the Eden sound. It really does sound great up close when I'm playing by myself sitting in front of the rig, but at high volumes at front stage, it sounds flabby and doesn't sound like what I'm putting in is coming out...
  13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Always wondered why Dirk used 6 4x10XLT's on stage... Now I know why! :D
  14. MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    So eould you say that the Schroeder projects better than the edens, I have heard it does...just curious...
  15. Unlike a few others who have commented on boominess, that's certainly not what I'm getting from mine. Of course other things do factor in to your sound such as the strings, your instrument and how it is set up, technique (as mentioned), amp and EQ settings. Typically I play with the amp set as flat as possible adjusting only for a given room or stage and then relying on the bass controls for tonal adjustment. One of the things I truly love about Wal basses is the ability to adjust the pole pieces on each pickup to get the flattest possible response from the instrument.

I'm also a firm believer in the fact that you have to stand well out from your rig, at FOH and elsewhere in the room to hear how your sound projects and to get a real sense of what you "sound like". Of course in those venues where your cabinet "couples" with the stage, you might get a sense of boominess from just about anything when you are right in front.
  16. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's what Schoeders do. They shine in a live/band setting. The way they're designed, they fill out a room with your sound, letting you hear yourself from pretty much anywhere on stage or in the room.

Have a read of the Schroeder Mega thread.
  17. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    +1 For Schroeders. Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you are at home or somewhere quiet, the tone settings that you use on your amp are not the ones that you use in a live setting? There are times when I play with my eq and think, wow that sounds nice and deep and clear and rich. But when I get to a live jam with multiple instruments, that nice sound I heard erlier is not going to cut it. I find myself taking a little bass out and cranking up the mids just so that I can hear myself. With the Schroeder cabs, it seems that this is the exact problem he was addressing when he designed his cabs. His cabs voice the frequencies that cut thru the mix like a knife while still supplying the low end for the house; these cabs are amazing. I have owned Eden, SWR , and Ampeg cabs and while they are good cabs, none of them match up. I am going to buy yet another Schroeder cab this weekend, It seems that my 21012 ( which weighs 70 lbs and is nice and compact) is more than enough for any gig. I am going to buy a medium cab, the 1210, and us it for my small gigs. Jorg says that his cabs are not meant to be lightweight, but after hauling around Ampeg BXT cabs for 2 years (122lbs ea.) the Schroeders are light as a feather. I Highly recomend them. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: