Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single coil in OLP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Oct 28, 2004.

1. I've had my OLP Stingray clone for a couple of years now I like everything about it except the way it sounds. I upgraded the pup to a Seymour Duncan and that made a big improvement, but after playing a friend's real 'Ray, Ive come to the conclusion that the Musicman type pup just isn't my sound. I want to modify this OLP to get a different sound entirely. I have a Warmoth project P and a Warmoth J and I'm way happy with both of those. I'm thinking of putting an old school Fender type single coil pup into this OLP hoping to get some of that Sting type sound. I would route out a cavity just "North" of the 'mid' position. The wood working part of this will be no problem, but I would need advice on wireing, switches, etc. It would be interesting to be able to switch between the exisisting MM pup and the new single coil and also to be able to blend the two of them. What do ya'll think???

2. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Solution:
    Go and measure a Fender Jazz to learn where to add a single coil pickup to the OLP. Add a 3 position coil tapping switch to the Musicman Duncan pickup and a balance control between the Duncan and single coil. With this setup you can activate just 1 coil on the Duncan pickup (usually the one closest to the bridge) and the neck position pickup to create a Fender jazz sound. You will still have the option of isolating just the Duncan pickup and switching it between single coil, parallel or series coil configurations or any combination (using the balance control and the switches).
    I have a Warmoth with this exact switch configuration and it is one of the most versitile sounding bass I own!!

KT

3. savethanks

savethanks

Nov 9, 2004
    Italy
    Hi man, I'd like to ask you a thing: I've got a Olp MM-2 and I'm thinking about boosting it with the Duncan pick up... first of all, is it possible to put it on the Olp?? Do I need active electronic??
    Thanks a lot, and pardon me for my poor english...
    Sav

4. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    i have OLP MM and i installed BASSLINES pickup and preamp in it but something was wrong with electronic but what i want to say is: when in repair shop tried to solwe what is wrong they wired pup in series and parallel than one coil and another and both.

I saw what is this electronic capable i am thinking to install 3way switch for coils and parallel series switch.

if u dont like MM sound (wired parallel) u must hear it in series
    what a difference more output but without MM midrange bark just clean lows and hights. u dont need another pup in neck position

5. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    u compared EBMM and olp with basslines.
    - there is difference in wood
    - what kind of pup have friend and what u (alnico or stainles steel)
    - are u sure u have pup in parallel

why i am asking u ? because man who owned past 15 EB MM and sabres and collects them (first bass he have is 76 or 79 sabre) said that this bass (mine) its sounding like his favorite MM.

i have basslines preamp and stainless steel pup

6. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    no u dont need active electronic basslines MM pup is passive.
    pup is 100 euro and preamp is 189 euro

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Rick,
    I was going to mention the same mod that Ken mentioned. I've had a few customers inquire about the same thing (but didn't want to mod the pickup route) concerning the Nordstrand MM4.3 triplecoil replacement pickup. With the Nordstrand MM4.3, or any other triple coil MM-style pickup, you would be able to install a drop-in replacement pickup without routing your bass while still being able to access a single coil tone (in addition to the other tonal options that would be available to you). Since you already have a MM pickup that can be wired in such a way, it might be worth a try before you route a new pickup cavity into your bass. Either way, good luck with the project and have fun with it. ;)

8. I'm confused. Are you suggesting that I could replace the Duncan Alnico MM pup with the Nordstrand MM4.3? I'm glad to see some action on this topic as I was playing my OLP today and asking around at the local shops for advice. As I said, I don't like the sound of this OLP. When I do play it, I have the tone knob all the way down to try to make it less of a mid range bark type sound. Still it sounds harsh. It sounds like a cheap robot farting. Not warm, not smooth, nothing like an upright bass. The bass guitar on Duran Duran's song "Hungry Like a Wolf" is close to the style of sound my OLP makes. A friend brought over a real EB Stingray and through my amp his bass and my OLP did have the same type of sound although his real 'Ray did sound much better. I'm thinking maybe the MM sound isn't for me.

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Rick,
    I was making the same suggestion that Ken made above....referring to a coil tap on a MM-style pickup. I was saying that the Nordstrand MM4.3, or stock EBMM Sterling pickup, would provide you with more tonal options that you would have normally had with your stock OLP pickup, as the 4.3 can be wired/run in series, parallel, or sigle coil mode (I have a Serling and this is how the stock pickup is wired...comes with a 3-way selector switch). As I also indicated, since you already have a Duncan MM-style pickup, you could try adding a coil tap to it, which would allow you to run that pickup in single coil mode, which is the type of pickup tone you'd like to have in your OLP based on what you've said here. The benefit to running a MM-style pickup in single coil mode is that you get the single coil "sound" without having to route a new pickup cavity in your bass. I hope that clears things up.

10. OK, this sounds like a great idea. I believe you are saying to try wiring my existing Duncan MM pup with a coil tap, so it could be switched to single coil and hopefully a deeper warmer sound. I'm ready to try this, but what exactly is a coil tap? Is there a schematic diagram online so I would know how to wire it?

11. Anyway.....the tech guy at Seymour Duncan suggested I try wiring my MM pup like a Jazz Bass, so I did that. One volume for the front coils, one volume for the back coils and one tone control. It does sound a little better than when I had it wired in papallel, but still way to much mid range and highs. Even with the tone knob all the way down, I get way to0 much fret noise and not enough bottom end. My plan now is to install another pup in the neck position. I wanted to use Duncan's single coil P bass pup like in the Sting Bass, but the tech guy said it would hum. I asked him why it doesn't hum in the Sting Bass and he said it probably did. He suggested using the Stacked Jazz neck pup which is hum canceling and so I think I might just do that.....unless you guys tell me different.

12. Problem solved! I routed a new cavity in the neck position and put in a Duncan single coil P pickup - model "Hot". For now, I have the MM pup disconected and the new single coil wired like a regular P bass. Now this mutha be thumpin. It sounds great, just like an old single coil P bass should. It has the hum, but I can deal with it. Next step is modify the pickguard and then to wire the MM pup back into the stew and see what happens. Rock on!

13. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    PICTURE please :bassist:

14. I'll fix up the pickguard and then post a pic. I don't know what tool to use to cut the pickguard, so I hope I don't mess it up.

15. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
  16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm interested in the pic's also